The BBC - what's left to cut?

It's being speculated today that the government will roll back on it's promise that the license fee will rise with inflation from next year, a promise made after the BBC agreed a 2 year license fee freeze in January 2022. Ministers are also openly talking about ending the license fee after 2027 (if they won the next GE, which thankfully is looking highly unlikely)

So what is left to cut? Aside from Panorama, all of the BBC's political & current affairs programs have been reduced to interview & opinionated discussion, the UK News Channel has been reduced to an opt out of the international channel, sports coverage is greatly reduced on what it once was, BBC 4 is already a repeats channel and will close completely within 2 years, CBBC will be on iPlayer only within 2 years.........

Further channel cuts......BBC 3 going back to iPlayer only, 5 Live closed down? Reduced or no sports coverage on the BBC?
BBC 2 closed down? 

I think it's pretty obvious the current government has an ideological opposition to the very existence of the BBC. 

www.theguardian.com 

If I understand things correct the BBC was expecting or asking for an increase that was based on a '12 month average' inflation, which equated to £15. By contrast the government is considering using September's inflation figure, which is lower and I believe nearer to £10.

Had it not been frozen at £159 in April 2021 and increased with inflation it would now been £188.15, according to the Bank of England's inflation calculator. If you go back further to the 2010 £145.50 freeze with inflation that would now be £214.04.

Given the cuts recently announced I'm struggling to immediately think what else they could easily cut or reduce to save money.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 4 users Like Keith's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, Happy2001, Jeff

The BBC has been cut to the bone son there really isn't anything left to cut. Personally If I was them I would threaten cut services like radio 3 or 4 then the people in government who enjoy listening to them will cause an uproar but the beeb could say this is your fault and then the government might give the BBC a break knowing that they are in a difficult financial situation
[-] The following 1 user Likes Toby brown's post:
  • benzj

I got a feeling some TV and radio shows shown on the BBC may end up on commercial/subscription/streaming stations, just to make up for saving on rising production cost.

I dare say some transmission savings could potentially be made on Freeview by coverting PSB1 to DVB-T2, with nation only variations. Then moving all their channels except BBC1 from PSB3 to PSB1. This would then enable them to cease SD transmissions and in 2026 potentially not renew PSB3.

There may also be some transmission savings to be had by removing radio channels from Satellite/Cable/Freeview, and promoting the Sounds app instead on those platforms.

Presumably if lower it'll also ensure CBBC and BBC Four linear channels, with the equivalent of FAST channels replacing them.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Keith's post:
  • Chad Blake

(04-12-2023, 06:31 PM)Toby brown Wrote:  The BBC has been cut to the bone son there really isn't anything left to cut. Personally If I was them I would threaten cut services like radio 3 or 4 then the people in government who enjoy listening to them will cause an uproar but the beeb could say this is your fault and then the government might give the BBC a break knowing that they are in a difficult financial situation

The government won't give the BBC a break, because as far as the Conservatives are concerned, the BBC is a public broadcaster that must be privatised. The government are following the classic model of privatisation with the BBC - freeze the license fee and starve the BBC of funding so programme quality and output suffers, people then begin to question the value of the BBC, further cuts strip back output even more, leading to calls for privatisation and for it to become a subscription service as the only way to 'save' the BBC, when all that was needed was for the BBC to be adequately funded by the license fee in the first place.
[-] The following 11 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • AndrewP, arbrax, benzj, bkman1990, chrisherald, DE88, ivlm001, JamieD, Kim Wexler’s Ponytail, Reith85, SuperSajuuk

There is a lot of waste in the BBC, still too many committees that are not needed. There is some distrust, to say the BBC has been cut to the bone is over simplifying the truth.

BBC has even more TV and radio stations that it did years ago, and You could probably cut some of these further, worse the BBC is wasting money one formats that not well like like Survior... 

When UK public see the BBC wasting money on BBC world news and services instead of UK operations there going to resentfully in paying more:

Quote:The BBC World Service operates in 42 languages, including English, and has the global insight and expertise to give audiences a truly international news service with BBC News journalists and supporting staff in 73 cities across 59 countries.
BBC World Service is funded primarily from the UK licence fee
www.bbc.com 

However when it comes to radio operations the rug has been pulled upon them, its another BBC3 situation were its done too soon but it was always going to happen. 

BBC Scotland isn't need,  BBC 4 could be merged with BBC2 and you could have repeats from 4-7pm new content 7-10 and then more repeats with Newsnight on BBC 1 combined with News at ten since it all going to be studio debates anyways.

This is what I don’t understand bbc Hindi which would be useful to my parents isn’t available without them certainly learning how to use YouTube yet they are paying for it via the license fee but they don’t even know it and obviously asking and moaning about the license fee itself.

(04-12-2023, 08:01 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  There is a lot of waste in the BBC, still too many committees that are not needed. There is some distrust, to say the BBC has been cut to the bone is over simplifying the truth.

BBC has even more TV and radio stations that it did years ago, and You could probably cut some of these further, worse the BBC is wasting money one formats that not well like like Survior... 

When UK public see the BBC wasting money on BBC world news and services instead of UK operations there going to resentfully in paying more:

www.bbc.com 

However when it comes to radio operations the rug has been pulled upon them, its another BBC3 situation were its done too soon but it was always going to happen. 

BBC Scotland isn't need,  BBC 4 could be merged with BBC2 and you could have repeats from 4-7pm new content 7-10 and then more repeats with Newsnight on BBC 1 combined with News at ten since it all going to be studio debates anyways.
Prior to 2010 the World Service was funded by a grant from the foreign office. Then the 2010 election happened.
The international side of the news channel is a commercial operation.
If you think the World Service is 'wasted money', then you don't understand the concept of soft power, along with how valued the BBC's impartial journalism is in many parts of the world, even in the US.

A glance at the BBC 2 schedule shows that it's already 80% simulcasts or repeats. 
Repeats early morning, news channel simulcast 9am - 12:15pm, more repeats throughout the afternoon, repeats early evening, often the only 'new' programs are 8 - 10pm and then Newsnight.
[-] The following 6 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • AndrewP, benzj, chrisherald, DTV, JamieD, Jeff

(04-12-2023, 07:30 PM)Keith Wrote:  I dare say some transmission savings could potentially be made on Freeview by coverting PSB1 to DVB-T2, with nation only variations. Then moving all their channels except BBC1 from PSB3 to PSB1. This would then enable them to cease SD transmissions and in 2026 potentially not renew PSB3.

There may also be some transmission savings to be had by removing radio channels from Satellite/Cable/Freeview, and promoting the Sounds app instead on those platforms.

Presumably if lower it'll also ensure CBBC and BBC Four linear channels, with the equivalent of FAST channels replacing them.

I think the BBC have already said they intend to give up one mux (in 2026 I think) which would presumably see all channels switch to HD only - but you never know with Freeview.

Ideally that move would see ITV/C4 take the four BBC HD slots on the current HD mux, but even more ideal would be that their combined mux is upgraded too so they can offer all their main channels in HD.   It would be a decade later than it should have happened but better late than never.