Sky TV presentation

It’s a very cute idea - but I agree with Brekkie.

If they were going about it properly: considering the whole channel’s identity is based around a weird swoop-y neon tube thing, I think it would’ve been cool to see them incorporate that into the 80’s neon cursive Sky Channel branding style or something along those lines. That’s obviously if time and budget allowed, this was clearly just a cute and quick nod.
[-] The following 8 users Like orange's post:
  • benzj, giiiuls, insert_good_username_here, Jeff, Kojak, Roger Darthwell, SlimyTrain, W. Knight

Good to see we’re now firmly back in the Sky era of old, where we get about 10 special idents a year.

The font they used is actually pretty accurate to the era. Wasn't Channel written in a serif font under that 1980s Sky logo, until they replaced it with the 1989 look which had joined up writing for the word Channel? It shouldn't be in italics though.

(15-03-2023, 10:30 PM)Lyric Wrote:  www.youtube.com 

Times New Roman.  This is a personal gripe, but I think that font's not good, lol

Random question but does anyone know the name of the instrument at the end?

They missed a trick not using the 1989-93 jingle with that one tbh. But interesting one alright - Sky rarely acknowledge the fact that their pre-1989 incarnation happened at all (to the point that they celebrated all their anniversaries from February 1989) so interesting to see them dig that logo out.

(16-03-2023, 12:21 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  The font they used is actually pretty accurate to the era. Wasn't Channel written in a serif font under that 1980s Sky logo, until they replaced it with the 1989 look which had joined up writing for the word Channel? It shouldn't be in italics though.

It was, though before 1989 it was just as likely to be referred to as simply “Sky” as “Sky Channel” - it only became consistently Sky Channel after the launch on satellite and even that only lasted about five months before it changed to Sky One.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rdd's post:
  • insert_good_username_here

(15-03-2023, 10:30 PM)Lyric Wrote:  www.youtube.com 
It comes to something when you smash a channel to bits with low investment, change the name and move it down your EPG, then 18 months later claim that it's 40 years old.

Nice ident, but nothing to do with Sky Channel/Sky One. Pick has better content, and at least it's on Freeview/Freesat.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • insert_good_username_here

It’s been over one and a half years since Sky 1 was replaced by Sky Showcase, and the Sky News website still has a link to Sky 1 in the footer.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 5 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • Allanbuzzy, ethanjbrady, insert_good_username_here, Roger Darthwell, Tola

(08-05-2023, 12:15 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  It’s been over one and a half years since Sky 1 was replaced by Sky Showcase, and the Sky News website still has a link to Sky 1 in the footer.
I think Sky Max was the replacement for Sky One. Showcase was a new channel which is just a mangled hybrid of everything else.

However, that doesn't alter your point that they shouldn't still be mentioning Sky One.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:
  • Happy2001, Roger Darthwell

Showcase took over One's channel number and Max took over it's programming, yeah.

I'd like to know whether the rebrand is considered a success, because I never really saw the point of what they did Most of Max's programming gets down on Showcase, which is what people see first on the EPG and would therefore usually watch it there instead of on Max. Then you have the fact that Showcase is acting as a shop window on a TV platform that already hosts all the channels that Showcase is, well, showcasing. It made sense when Sky 3/Pick TV did that job on Freeview to entice people to subscribe to Sky, but now it just feels redundant.
[-] The following 2 users Like Larry the Loafer's post:
  • ethanjbrady, Roger Darthwell