GB News

I'm not sure I understand the thing about the channel insisting on a defibrillator after his two heart attacks. Surely that's a risk he takes, or is it an insurance thing for the company?

And I'm surprised a company/office building of that sort of size wouldn't have one anyway. It's become a pretty standard bit of first aid equipment these days

(06-02-2023, 11:26 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  I'm not sure I understand the thing about the channel insisting on a defibrillator after his two heart attacks. Surely that's a risk he takes, or is it an insurance thing for the company?

And I'm surprised a company/office building of that sort of size wouldn't have one anyway. It's become a pretty standard bit of first aid equipment these days

My understanding is that GBN bought Steyn's programme in from him, and he/his own people looked after production. I assume he would have been asked to provide a defibrillator in the Westminster studio he used (which presumably GBN rented for him?). Though as you say, it would be surprising if that building didn't have one already.

(06-02-2023, 11:24 PM)Jon Wrote:  
(06-02-2023, 10:51 PM)Kojak Wrote:  Steyn reckons GBN wanted him to personally lay any potential Ofcom fines relating to his programme, and that is why he left:

Whilst I am not upset that he has left GBN, that is surely not done, at any broadcaster? I could  understand a presenter’s pay being docked, or being sacked, for breaching Ofcom guidelines, but forcing them to pay the fine themselves? Methinks this was their way of getting rid.
Well if you’d been following the thread you’ve been posting so much in you’d already know that, not least because I posted the video in which Steyn makes this claim. Although I guess I can’t blame you if didn’t want to visit his site. It sounds a a bit like when football clubs fine their players for bad behaviour or being late. 

You might be right about it being their way of getting rid, Laurence Fox is a much bigger name in the UK and well known for his views. He’ll already have following and drive audiences in the same way Farage does.

Well I suspect there is a lot more to it than we are being told. Steyn is obviously only giving his side of the story, and even then we don't really know what is and isn't true. I expect GBN will keep schtum and maybe put out some canned response of 'he broke the editorial guidelines, nothing to see here'.

I did wonder at one point if Farage rented out the Westminster studio for his show himself at one stage, as when he’s not on the programme tends to come from Paddington. I assume it’s a similar arrangement to Mark Steyn’s show and it’s effectively produced by his own company. Although one of the Sunday morning programmes does come from there now of course.

Is this GB News's attempt to tone down the rhetoric a bit by getting rid of Steyn? Robinson and Oliver would be another sign, but they're on off-peak weekends when audiences are low(er).

They clearly like the Dan Wootton style of tabloid controversy delivery however, so I think he's the safest for keeping his gig at GBN.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • radiorebel

(06-02-2023, 11:50 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Is this GB News's attempt to tone down the rhetoric a bit by getting rid of Steyn?  Robinson and Oliver would be another sign, but they're on off-peak weekends when audiences are low(er).

They clearly like the Dan Wootton style of tabloid controversy delivery however, so I think he's the safest for keeping his gig at GBN.

Dan is about as mainstream as it gets (despite constantly decrying the so-called 'MSM' in his rants!) so I think you're right that his job is safe. I do think Oliver will be next, probably followed by Robinson.

pressgazette.co.uk 

Already linked to by someone on the previous page.

(07-02-2023, 12:54 PM)Krede Wrote:  pressgazette.co.uk 

This won't happen - in its current form - for one simple reason.

GB News doesn't tell you what you need to know. By and large, it tells you what you should think. 

If you're inclined to buy it, you'll lap it up. If you're not, you won't.

To veer slightly into a political analogy, albeit one I hope the mods will forgive because of its aptness, it's why I was always convinced Biden would beat Trump in 2020. Sure, there's a constituency for Trump's schtick, but if you're not buying it X number of years in, why would you suddenly start now?
[-] The following 4 users Like Skygeek's post:
  • benzj, London Lite, Spencer, UTVLifer

(07-02-2023, 01:41 PM)Skygeek Wrote:  .

GB News doesn't tell you what you need to know. By and large, it tells you what you should think. 

If you're inclined to buy it, you'll lap it up. If you're not, you won't.

And that's GBN's problem, you're either going to be one of two groups, one is that you're fully into what they're broadcasting and believe in it, the other is those who have already made their mind up that it's not for them and I'd include advertisers in both groups.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • benzj

I'd be wary of predicting that GB News will even be around in 2028. The ratings are low and I just can't see its backers continuing to give it the money it needs that far into the future. There was a very similar channel in Canada - Sun News - that had similar problems to GBN, which eventually closed down abruptly after less than four years on air.
[-] The following 3 users Like Kojak's post:
  • benzj, mouseboy33, UTVLifer

This is a Proactively Moderated Thread