TV Predictions 2023

My predictions
Bbc announces further cuts and maybe some management changes
Itv continue to introduce new idents in addition to the ones they have already announced
David Williams does quit bgt as has been rumoured for sometime
More schedule changes to gb news and talktv with presenters leaving
[-] The following 1 user Likes Toby brown's post:
  • Superman1986

(07-01-2023, 04:36 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(07-01-2023, 04:11 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  It does beg the question, how long does Strictly have to continue losing viewers before the BBC would consider axing it?

It's not losing viewers at a rate greater than other broadcast television and was the most watched programme in 6 of the 13 weeks it was on air and the most watched BBC One programme in 11 of its 13 weeks (a period which also and unusually included the World Cup). The idea that it is a poor performer is ludicrous.

Nobody's saying it's that, but by it's own standards it has regressed. The link to the general decline in viewing is a fair one to make but it's not wholly responsible for why shows have been failing to attract a certain amount of viewers recently. Long running shows will peak then lose viewers and new shows won't hit the mark especially if they're seen as a rehash of what has gone before, which is difficult to avoid nowadays.

Strictly is in the very fortunate position to be a show from a different era, is about dancing, has an audience that aren't swayed by Netflix etc, plus other channels don't really offer anything that will take casual viewers away from it.

I personally can't see Strictly being cancelled this year but I do think it is inevitable that the viewership will start going down in the next few years. It hasn't been the same without Bruce Forsyth in my opinion.

(06-01-2023, 06:36 PM)Spin1038 Wrote:  Tv predictions for 2023
BBC Three acquiring the rights of older seasons of family guy (s1-s10) and American Dad (s1-s11)
ITV2 HD launching on freeview
New MTV Music channels in 2023
Strictly Come Dancing getting cancelled
Sky and channel 4 loses the rights of the Simpsons

From my understanding both The Simpsons and Family Guy/American Dad are both on long term deals (if not lifetime of show) For Channel 4 and ITV2 respectively. Imagine the outcry if the BBC did bid for Family Guy/American Dad and spent a lot on it, for both shows which are still watchable are certainly past their peak. 

Sky losing The Simpsons is certainly more plausible, given we’ve had Disney+ around for I’m surprised Sky still have pay TV rights.
[-] The following 2 users Like nwtv2003's post:
  • bkman1990, Superman1986

One prediction I will make is that the viewing figures for the new BBC News channel will not be significantly lower than those for the current BBC News channel.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DTV's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy

(08-01-2023, 04:09 PM)DTV Wrote:  One prediction I will make is that the viewing figures for the new BBC News channel will not be significantly lower than those for the current BBC News channel.

I’ll go one further and say I think they’ll increase…

(26-12-2022, 08:22 PM)ACTV Wrote:  Here are my predictions.

- ITV News, CITV and ITV Sport receive the rebrand treatment.

- BBC News rebrands later in the Autumn.

- CBBC and CBeebies get the Chameleon logo and presentation, though the idents remain, altered with the new logo.

- ITV do not recommission The Masked Dancer, but possibly commission a second yearly series of it's more successful parent show.

- The entire Channel 4 family rebrand around April.

- Rylan and AJ Odudu to host ITV2's Big Brother, with Roman Kemp and/or Fleur East hosting a BOTS/BBLB style show and a live feed on ITVX.

- TalkTV and GB News merge, with Murdoch taking on the GB News faces in the hours previously used to simulcast TalkRadio and for Farage at 7 and Wootton at 9, whilst Piers Uncensored and First Edition remain in the evening.

- The Traitors is recommisioned for a second series and continues to do well for BBC One.

- Sky News is revamped as a response to it's low ratings in peaktime.
Two of your predictions are already debunked. CITV is closing down so no rebrand for them. CBBC and Cbeebies did get the Chameleon treatment, but didn't keep their old idents.

The TV Predictions are only a bit of fun, they're almost always going to be wrong to a large extent. Don't think we need to be debunking them unless they were totally ridiculous in the first place and/or were never going to happen without the help of a flux capacitor to alter the timeline...
[-] The following 15 users Like Neil Jones's post:
  • ACTV, AJB39, bkman1990, Brekkie, DeMarkay, Jon, Josh, London Lite, nwtv2003, QuinnTFP, Roger Darthwell, strollfan, Stuart, SunburntRock89, Superman1986