BBC TV Christmas 2022 Programmes

For the last 4 years, BBC one and itv1 have been dismal for Christmas day listings. Not much effort is being put into it. Feels like the writing is on the wall for the channels as streaming takes over.

Probably going watch catch up or stream on Crunchyroll on Christmas day

The British channels are going the way the American channels have gone - the American networks do nothing for the Christmas period.

All Christmas specials for them are placed in early to mid December, where all the ad revenue can be gained from, and that has been the case now for decades. Putting their big hit shows Christmas specials on air between Christmas Eve and New Year's Day was/is financial hell for them, so you find their Christmas specials (if they bother to do any) placed in the first three weeks in December.

BBC however do try at least a bit more than ITV - ITV of course never really bother with Christmas, they have the American attitude, where they focus their shows around when naturally the ad revenue will be large, which is usually September until mid December.

BBC are still the only ones who every year produce new Christmas idents, I think since they are publicly funded, they feel they have to do it - however they have seen the rapid decline in Christmas audience ratings, and so the attitude will always be why should they bother?

Why put big dramas, big comedies on Christmas slots, and then get a third of the audience they would achieve say in October or March?
[-] The following 1 user Likes JMT1985's post:
  • benzj

(07-12-2022, 11:01 AM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Why put big dramas, big comedies on Christmas slots, and then get a third of the audience they would achieve say in October or March?

There's also the factor that, tonally, most programmes are unsuitable for Christmas. As for the main day itself, BBC1's line-up although predictable is strong so no point in putting up any of your big shows against it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tellyblues's post:
  • benzj

BBC Four should make the most of this Christmas by offering a pure archive schedule, filled to the brim with classic Christmas television from the BBC.

They need to have balls to be proud of BBC Christmas of the past - wheel out shows which have not usually been repeated at Christmas time.

Mike Yarwood - Some Mothers Do Ave Em - Two Ronnies - Generation Game - Noel's House Party - 2Point 4 Children - Birds of a Feather - Bread etc

We get the usual Morecambe and Wise, Are You Being Served repeats etc - BBC Four could use this Christmas to really show them.

I wonder what they have done for this Christmas?
[-] The following 1 user Likes JMT1985's post:
  • fanoftv

(09-12-2022, 09:02 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  BBC Four should make the most of this Christmas by offering a pure archive schedule, filled to the brim with classic Christmas television from the BBC.

They need to have balls to be proud of BBC Christmas of the past - wheel out shows which have not usually been repeated at Christmas time.

Mike Yarwood - Some Mothers Do Ave Em - Two Ronnies - Generation Game - Noel's House Party - 2Point 4 Children - Birds of a Feather - Bread etc

We get the usual Morecambe and Wise, Are You Being Served repeats etc - BBC Four could use this Christmas to really show them.

I wonder what they have done for this Christmas?

Something that hasn't been repeated is Les Dawson on Christmas from 1980 which is on BBC4 on Wed 21st. Although repeated for the first time last year, the most recent of stuff Dinnerladies from 1999 is on early morning on Boxing Day.

I have a feeling that if the BBC were to show anything that would generate a bit of excitement it too would be hidden away just like in the summer with NHP.

(07-12-2022, 08:53 AM)TimGoodwin Wrote:  For the last 4 years, BBC one and itv1 have been dismal for Christmas day listings. Not much effort is being put into it. Feels like the writing is on the wall for the channels as streaming takes over.
To be fair ITV have new content from 8pm with Limitless Win and Doc Martin (first Christmas Day special since 2006). And at least the ITV soaps are still two of the biggest shows on the channel, something that feels like less and less the case with EastEnders every year.

Ghosts is a welcome addition on BBC1 but it does miss the big comedy fixture at it's centre piece whilst the nations views on the likes of Mrs Brown are well known. I do think it would make a huge difference if the big fixtures like Call the Midwife, Strictly, Doctor Who and seemingly now The Wheel (or The BIg Show) were switched in and out of the day each year so it wasn't always the same line up and they could prop up other days where needed. For me this year Strictly could do a better job on Christmas Eve than at 5.10pm on Christmas Day and some years Call the Midwife would have sat better on Boxing Day, though Death in Paradise is kind of doing that job now.

Strictly Come Dancing Christmas Special for this year has the most dreadful line up - no big names, no one of interest. Someone said it looks like a Christmas version of the original Come Dancing, as the line up may as well be regular members of the general public.

Strictly seems to have really had problems attracting even big names for just one night event.

(10-12-2022, 10:03 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Strictly Come Dancing Christmas Special for this year has the most dreadful line up - no big names, no one of interest.  Someone said it looks like a Christmas version of the original Come Dancing, as the line up may as well be regular members of the general public.

Strictly seems to have really had problems attracting even big names for just one night event.

Interesting take. 

As a Radio 1 listening, soap watching, Gavin and Stacey fan who has a young child, but also listens to one of the most popular comedy podcasts around - I thought it was a pretty strong line up. I knew of all 6.
[-] The following 4 users Like Ash101's post:
  • Brekkie, CF1, steve, Transmission

(10-12-2022, 10:03 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Strictly Come Dancing Christmas Special for this year has the most dreadful line up - no big names, no one of interest.  Someone said it looks like a Christmas version of the original Come Dancing, as the line up may as well be regular members of the general public.

I would think that most people would know Larry Lamb or Nicola Roberts.
[-] The following 2 users Like Happy2001's post:
  • CF1, DE88

(10-12-2022, 10:19 PM)Ash101 Wrote:  

Interesting take. 

As a Radio 1 listening, soap watching, Gavin and Stacey fan who has a young child, but also listens to one of the most popular comedy podcasts around - I thought it was a pretty strong line up. I knew of all 6.
100% agree. You can never please everyone but a real mix of people from different genres appealing to a range of ages is exactly what I want from a Christmas Day special with three or more generations around the tv.
[-] The following 1 user Likes steve's post:
  • CF1