Pope Benedict Funeral UK Coverage

(05-01-2023, 06:46 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  
(05-01-2023, 06:43 PM)TheFullElectro Wrote:  Sorry, ''our''?
This is the UK, of course the whole of the Pope's funeral wouldn't be heavily prioritised (in the eyes of some broadcasters here)
The whole thing was livestreamed on YouTube, so no need to waste your time complaining here.

I think to not even have it on BBC 2 when it was being provided to the media for free with no restrictions (which is rare) is a bit of a mistake. They were showing 'Snow Dogs' instead apparently. Critical watching.

Seems it could have been an easy way to fill 2 hours and also provide something for those who may have wanted to watch it.

That’s true. 

Plus in Nothern Ireland there is a higher Catholic population and it would have covered them as well. 
Funeral’s tend to rate well on TV - ceremonial stuff has a curiosity factor. 

If it was a sitting pope’s funeral I think it would have been on BBC2 maybe even BBC1.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Newshound47's post:
  • aaron_scotland

I suspect the reason it didn't get full coverage is because Pope Benedict wasn't a sitting pope, simple as that. Nothing disgusting about it.

(06-01-2023, 11:57 AM)XIII Wrote:  I suspect the reason it didn't get full coverage is because Pope Benedict wasn't a sitting pope, simple as that. Nothing disgusting about it.
I think this is exactly the reason. The 'emeritus' title changed the conversation, editorially. If a 'sitting' Pope had died, it would have been much more of a news story rather than 'former Pope and old man dies of natural causes'. Still, Aleem and the Religion team did a fairly comprehensive job of covering the funeral and context around the emeritus status.

Honestly, I'm not surprised about BBC and ITV not showing it in full. The official religion in the UK is Protestantism, not Catholicism, and has been since Henry VIII's reign in the 16th century.
[-] The following 2 users Like JAS84's post:
  • bkman1990, thomash79