Issues with Music Videos

BoXmas seem to have issues playing Deee-Lite Groove is in the Heart

On other channels it is in the correct ratio, nothing cut off of the screen and it is bright.

When BoXmas plays this, it starts off very dark, heads get cut off etc and at some points it looks like when someone uses a camera to record video from a screen then plays it back as there is a lot of wobbling.

They could always use the alternative video.

youtu.be 

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]

(30-12-2022, 08:33 PM)Bennyboy84 Wrote:  BoXmas seem to have issues playing Deee-Lite Groove is in the Heart

On other channels it is in the correct ratio, nothing cut off of the screen and it is bright.

When BoXmas plays this, it starts off very dark, heads get cut off etc and at some points it looks like when someone uses a camera to record video from a screen then plays it back as there is a lot of wobbling.

This is the case in general when they unfortunately crop everything to 16:9.

(31-12-2022, 01:25 AM)James2001 Wrote:  This is the case in general when they unfortunately crop everything to 16:9.

I just saw this music video on Clubland and while it wasn't dark at all, it was still cropped somewhat. Isn't it a thing that some music channels use youtube to source their videos if they can't get hold of an original broadcast copy?

(03-01-2023, 08:24 PM)Bennyboy84 Wrote:  
(31-12-2022, 01:25 AM)James2001 Wrote:  This is the case in general when they unfortunately crop everything to 16:9.

I just saw this music video on Clubland and while it wasn't dark at all, it was still cropped somewhat. Isn't it a thing that some music channels use youtube to source their videos if they can't get hold of an original broadcast copy?

More likely they've been passed on at some point in the past from other broadcasters, particularly for older videos.

Of course it probably depends on the artist, they'll probably give more of a monkeys about the quality of some high profile singer than the video of some obscure one hit wonder.

The same concept was alluded to in 2019 when the YouTube copies of music videos spontaneously became "remastered in 4k/HD" (or not as the case may be). Plenty of the smaller artists just got some half-arsed bodge job of a "remaster" (noting of course that "remaster doesn't mean restoration, it means recreation") and then you have the likes of Wham's Last Christmas. Which looks beautiful in the remaster ("looking like people in 2019 trying to dress like people in the 80s"). But only because it was shot on film.

Bohemian Rhapsody is the other example here, it's marked as "HD" on YouTube, problem however is that was shot on tape (IIRC it had to be slapped together quickly for TOTP and its quicker and easier (and cheaper) to edit on tape), and that means it will be never be HD.

Most of these "remasters to HD" are just SD videos upscaled... and often cropped and/or stretched as well and at the wrong frame rate, often done horribly badly

Even when shot on film, most music videos were only edited on SD video, so to make a proper HD version means going back to the original film (if it even still exists, and is in usuable condition) and rescanning and re-editing from scratch, including redoing any effects, not the easiest or cheapest thing to do. And even in the mentioned case of the Wham video, where they have done this, there's still a couple of shots that are clearly upscaled and cropped from the old 4:3 SD master, probably because they couldn't find all of the original film.

There is some AI based upscaling that's done some times that supposedly creates extra resolution, but it's often quite poor.

I remember watching a video on the subject and it was pointed out the fan-made remasters of Bohemian Rhapsody were better than the official one, keeping the proper aspect ratio, and uploading at 50fps rather than 25.

And I have on occasion seen music videos on music channels that have quite obviously been downloaded from YouTube, sometimes even with another channel's DOG on them- I've certainly seen MuchMusic and the Dutch TMF DOG before. Mostly on the Now channels, and Vintage TV when it existed, rather than the MTV and Bauer channels though. I also remember one channel (I can't remember which) showing Diana Ross's Upside Down with old Music Box song titles, and The Vault used to show Wham's I'm Your Man with the old MTV Europe captions (albeit in both cases full broadcast quality rather than off air VHS or YouTube downloads). Quite common to see 80s videos that have clearly been taken from masters made for VHS compilations too, with the captions or parts of the linking material appearing.

Think it must be noted that a lot of "live" performances that we see on music channels (particularly for older songs pre 1975ish) are all from (mostly) TV show performances usually no video was ever made for the song (as while Bohemian Rhapsody gave the idea of a music video a major kick up the marketing requirements, The Beatles (and maybe others) were doing them in the 1960s but they weren't "music videos" as such) or it was a well charting B side or some other successful song off an album somewhere. And of course TV recordings from that era are of variable quality anyway from broadcast to "making potato-vision look good"

That Slade video we see most Christmases with an overenthusiastic drummer is obviously from some TV show/compilation somewhere (and was zoomed to hide the graphics as best as possible) as Slade didn't have time to make a video for it for one reason or another, so that has sort of become its video.

I've seen music channels show a performance of Cuz I Luv You with a scrolling banner in the exact same style as the Merry Xmas Everyone one, so clearly they're taken from a Slade compilation of some sorts. The Merry Xmas Everyone is clearly from some point in the 80s going by the appearance of the band, though where it actually comes from, I don't know. It's a very TV-am looking studio though (though not actually TV-am).

I have seen other music channels use one of the TOTP performances for Merry Xmas Everyone as well.

There have been some occasions where MTV showing Mud's Lonely This Christmas has a brief snatch of an ITN VT clock at the start, which suggests that was filmed at Wells Street (I think ITN did hire out their studios to others when they weren't being used for bulletins).

I think that Slade performance is from a Dutch TV show. Those fake windows DO look like the original TV-am set but it also slightly reminds me of the basement on No 73

Please do not get me started on the AI "upscaled" copies of old Top of the Pops episodes.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]