BBC/ITV Wales/S4C News

(12-02-2023, 11:40 PM)JexedBack Wrote:  
(02-02-2023, 11:06 PM)Moz Wrote:  Sorry if I’ve missed it, but is Wales Today getting a tower screen (or two)?

I’ve seen a AR one used, but with the other regions getting real ones, why hasn’t Cardiff?

Because the studio space is shared with S4C they can’t have a physical tower screen.

Wow! Well that’s pretty stupid if BBC set design is restricted by another broadcaster. Get S4C to have their own studio!

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!

(13-02-2023, 12:04 PM)Moz Wrote:  
(12-02-2023, 11:40 PM)JexedBack Wrote:  Because the studio space is shared with S4C they can’t have a physical tower screen.

Wow! Well that’s pretty stupid if BBC set design is restricted by another broadcaster. Get S4C to have their own studio!
If you’re interested in the relationship between the BBC and S4C—and no, they don’t dictate set designs—then the articulation agreement which runs to ‘28 is quite fascinating. 

On the pres point, my understanding was that Cardiff went slightly early and spent a pretty penny so they’re reluctant to fork out for one of those screens just at the minute.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Matrix's post:
  • UTVLifer

(13-02-2023, 02:54 PM)Matrix Wrote:  
(13-02-2023, 12:04 PM)Moz Wrote:  Wow! Well that’s pretty stupid if BBC set design is restricted by another broadcaster. Get S4C to have their own studio!
If you’re interested in the relationship between the BBC and S4C—and no, they don’t dictate set designs—then the articulation agreement which runs to ‘28 is quite fascinating. 

On the pres point, my understanding was that Cardiff went slightly early and spent a pretty penny so they’re reluctant to fork out for one of those screens just at the minute.

It would be a bit of a waste to get a monolith in that studio..It's far bigger and more sophisticated than an English region (and technologically NI & Scotland)

The screens a storytelling device, useful now the regions do longer presenter led explainers to cover the budget cuts in newsgathering resources.  Fits the design language of BBC News 23 but isn't a replica. 

BBC Wales has a huge space with lots of places to do explainer and interviews, lots of shots from ceiling & ground robotic caneras and AR capabilities if they need it. Not much to be gained by plonking a tower screen in that space, so why do it?

(12-02-2023, 11:37 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  According to the late bulletin, there will be a special behind the scenes broadcast throughout tomorrow's main Wales Today bulletin from 18:20. This will be availabe on the BBC Wales News webpages and across social media channels. This special broadcst will coincide with the 100th anniversary of the first BBC broadcast in Wales.

Link to the broadcast

www.bbc.co.uk 

Over on the other side, from tonight, ITV Wales' political programme Sharp End will increase to an hour long.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(13-02-2023, 02:54 PM)Matrix Wrote:  
(13-02-2023, 12:04 PM)Moz Wrote:  Wow! Well that’s pretty stupid if BBC set design is restricted by another broadcaster. Get S4C to have their own studio!

The plans for BBC Wales' main new studio would've been formulated 5 - 6 years ago, as they didn't just change studios, they moved into an entirely new, purpose built building in the centre of Cardiff during 2020. The old 1960s BBC Wales building was then demolished.
So you can understand why BBC Wales don't want to change a brand new, purpose built studio just to plonk a tower in there so they fit in with the network look. On the few occasions when they've used an AR tower it's added nothing.

The monolith isn't actually that great a presentation device IMO - I think they've compromised with an AR version but overall it's better to use the screens they have which are actually framed to the shape of viewers TV's at home, though I wouldn't be surprised at all if the reason the monolith is being rolled out across BBC News is because they think it'll look better on cropped squareyvision content for mobiles.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • UTVLifer

More cuts at BBC Wales in favour of unspecified "digital content"

www.bbc.co.uk 

Quote:BBC Wales consumer show X-Ray to end after 22 years

Welsh consumer show X-Ray will finish after 22 years once the latest series ends.

BBC Wales said growth in its online services meant "tough editorial and financial decisions" were needed in order to grow its digital content.

The show which sought justice for consumers first aired in 2001 and has been fronted by Lucy Owen since 2007.

The last episode will be on BBC One Wales on Monday, 27 March and repeated two days later.

A BBC Wales spokesman said: "We are very proud of the work X-Ray has done the years on behalf of audiences, and will ensure that its legacy, strong consumer journalism, lives on in our BBC Wales news coverage.

"We will continue to throw a spotlight on the sort of issues that were raised by the programme."
[-] The following 3 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • RhysJR, Superman1986, UTVLifer

Sounds like ITV Wales had a fire alarm in the hour before tonight's bulletin. They were allowed in less than 10 minutes before they were on air.

twitter.com 

twitter.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • Former Member 406, Superman1986

Noticed that Wales at Six now has just one presenter (Jonathan and Andrea seem to share duties). How long has this been a thing? Not living in Wales, I don't often watch the Welsh news!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kojak's post:
  • Superman1986

(25-03-2023, 06:53 PM)Kojak Wrote:  Noticed that Wales at Six now has just one presenter (Jonathan and Andrea seem to share duties). How long has this been a thing? Not living in Wales, I don't often watch the Welsh news!
Since they moved to Cardiff Bay in 2014
[-] The following 1 user Likes Superman1986's post:
  • Kendal87