BBC proposal for spin-offs of Radio 1, 2 and 3 on DAB+

I think Radio 2 Gold is an unlikely name. From what I gather it’s not going to be playing only oldies, especially as some programmes are going to be simulcast with the parent station. I would expect it’ll include some current songs which are more appealing and to a mature audience. It’d be odd to exclude things like the latest Billy Joel or Shania Twain songs, or music by Michael Bublé.

Plus, calling a station [something] Gold sounds a bit 90s, and I could imagine Global objecting.

I think Radio 2 Extra is more likely.
[-] The following 2 users Like Spencer's post:
  • London Lite, Toby brown

Yes, Global were trying to force a station called Fresh Gold to change its name a few months ago

www.itv.com 

Radio 2 Extra is more likely, it was the name touted for a part time replacement of 6 Music when that was being threatened with closure
[-] The following 3 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • interestednovice, Spencer, Toby brown

(28-03-2024, 05:25 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  Hard to see the plans for Four Extra fully closing happening for at least a while with all the expansions happening. Linear radio content seems to holding up well fairly well in terms of demand across the sector.

Now that some content from Radio 4 Long Wave has shifted to Radio 4 Extra, I don’t think they plan to close it any more.

Closing it was always a bit of a random idea anyway, since it must be very cheap to run so it would hardly save any money.

In my mind, Perfect Curve W1A types just said: “Radio 4 Extra, isn’t…like…. one Radio 4 enough? Snooze-fest, am I right?!” and then decided to close it. Presumably this was because they envisaged that archive drama and comedy would be on BBC Sounds. But really, there is no harm in having Radio 4 Extra and it provides an important linear outlet for that niche content from Radio 4 which was displaced with the loss of a separate LW schedule.
[-] The following 1 user Likes interestednovice's post:
  • benzj

I think that Radio 4 Extra has enough of a loyal listenership that, even if a formal closure plan were to be put forward, they would cause enough of an outcry to force the BBC to make a U-turn (see 6 Music, Red Button text service).

As it is, I think the imposition of Yesterday in Parliament and Daily Service, two types of programming that are massively at odds with the remainder of the station's output, is very likely to generate plenty of complaints from listeners, many of whom I'm sure use it as an escape from news and current affairs.
[-] The following 4 users Like Robert Williams's post:
  • AndrewP, interestednovice, Nige, UTVLifer

Radio 4 Extra costs very little to run. It's all recorded, nothing live and very little exclusive content. It exists just as a playout system running in auto 24/7

It's always had a loyal following, at one point when it was BBC7 I remember reading that it was the number 1 reason why people were buying DAB receivers.

I imagine only the Radio 1 spin offs and Cbeebies Radio are cheaper.... the latter is a lot of repeated material
[-] The following 3 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • AndrewP, interestednovice, UTVLifer

All of which makes it seem so odd that they ever suggested closing it at all!

Why did the BBC just throw in plans to close 4 Extra to a series of announcements about other (more significant) cuts? It never made any sense. It almost looked silly, it would save such a laughably small amount.

Hopefully they have realised this and decided to rethink.
[-] The following 1 user Likes interestednovice's post:
  • UTVLifer

Just to add to the conversation, RTX info has reported on the BBC's annual plan, including the launch of new DAB+ Radio stations, and 'linear' channels on iPlayer.

rxtvinfo.com 

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blubatt's post:
  • Toby brown

Will be interesting to see how Freely does. I can see the take up rate not being particularly strong for a while because of the mixed reactions similar products are getting from Sky and Virgin.

(30-03-2024, 01:40 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  Will be interesting to see how Freely does. I can see the take up rate not being particularly strong for a while because of the mixed reactions similar products are getting from Sky and Virgin.

Can see it being a slow burner. It will grow as people upgrade their TVs and it just so happens to have Freely built in. Seems to have gone a little quiet on the launch front and which channels will be available.

The website is useless
www.freely.co.uk 

(31-03-2024, 07:30 AM)Daveuk Wrote:  Can see it being a slow burner. It will grow as people upgrade their TVs and it just so happens to have Freely built in. Seems to have gone a little quiet on the launch front and which channels will be available.

The website is useless
www.freely.co.uk 

Through even then will people use it unless those TV’s do not have a Freeview tuner available. I know a lot of people who never use any apps provided via a connected Tv.