Absolute Radio to switch off all AM transmitters across the UK

I assume the DAB service license is standalone and wouldn't be affected by handing back the AM license?

(30-01-2023, 01:06 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  I assume the DAB service license is standalone and wouldn't be affected by handing back the AM license?

There used to be an incentive for Absolute to renew the AM licence by having a DAB slot on Digital One, but otherwise it has a DSP licence which isn't affected by the AM switch-off.

(30-01-2023, 01:06 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  I assume the DAB service license is standalone and wouldn't be affected by handing back the AM license?

The contract to broadcast Absolute on DAB is between Bauer and Digital One, as opposed to being licenced directly by Ofcom. So they’re pretty safe on there.

One thing that this situation does change though, is that Absolute will no longer be bound by the terms of their AM licence. So if they wanted to drop, say, news bulletins or travel news, there’d be nothing to stop them.

(30-01-2023, 09:45 AM)Spencer Wrote:  
(30-01-2023, 01:06 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  I assume the DAB service license is standalone and wouldn't be affected by handing back the AM license?

The contract to broadcast Absolute on DAB is between Bauer and Digital One, as opposed to being licenced directly by Ofcom. So they’re pretty safe on there.

One thing that this situation does change though, is that Absolute will no longer be bound by the terms of their AM licence. So if they wanted to drop, say, news bulletins or travel news, there’d be nothing to stop them.
Yep they lose a few rules not being INR2, one of those is having to play party election broadcasts, although that's never been something that's ever happened. 

I'm not sure about news provision, every radio station has bulletins, surely they don't all choose to do them?

(30-01-2023, 10:12 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  
(30-01-2023, 09:45 AM)Spencer Wrote:  The contract to broadcast Absolute on DAB is between Bauer and Digital One, as opposed to being licenced directly by Ofcom. So they’re pretty safe on there.

Yep they lose a few rules not being INR2, one of those is having to play party election broadcasts, although that's never been something that's ever happened. 

I'm not sure about news provision, every radio station has bulletins, surely they don't all choose to do them?

I don't think all stations have news bulletins. Off the top of my head, I don't recall having heard any on Smooth Chill or Kisstory (unless I've been listening at the wrong times). I doubt very much that they have them on Fun Kids either – and Birdsong certainly never had them.

My understanding is that, as long as you adhere to the Broadcasting Code, you can broadcast pretty much whatever you want on a DAB channel. I think the only Ofcom requirements are of the mux operator to carry a variety of different types of services, but in terms of regulation, it's a lot more free and easy than on FM and AM.

I would imagine most stations on DAB carry news bulletins, either because they're simulcasts of FM/AM services, or that they feel people expect to hear them and there's some value in them.

(30-01-2023, 11:40 AM)Spencer Wrote:  
(30-01-2023, 10:12 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Yep they lose a few rules not being INR2, one of those is having to play party election broadcasts, although that's never been something that's ever happened. 

I don't think all stations have news bulletins. Off the top of my head, I don't recall having heard any on Smooth Chill or Kisstory (unless I've been listening at the wrong times). I doubt very much that they have them on Fun Kids either – and Birdsong certainly never had them.

My understanding is that, as long as you adhere to the Broadcasting Code, you can broadcast pretty much whatever you want on a DAB channel. I think the only Ofcom requirements are of the mux operator to carry a variety of different types of services, but in terms of regulation, it's a lot more free and easy than on FM and AM.

I would imagine most stations on DAB carry news bulletins, either because they're simulcasts of FM/AM services, or that they feel people expect to hear them and there's some value in them.
I'm sure there are few, Radio 4 Extra doesn't of course either. 

But it always surprises me tuning around how many stations have a news bulletin and 4 minutes of adverts at the top of the hour. It's an obvious 'tune-out' point a station can take advantage of - I'll normally turn over to 6 Music at xx:56 because I know there'll be music and not 6 minutes of ads news 

That said there's not that much independence, with so much being Global and Bauer nowadays. The Bauer stations in particular have exactly the same hourly clock on every station.

(30-01-2023, 12:46 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  
(30-01-2023, 11:40 AM)Spencer Wrote:  I don't think all stations have news bulletins. Off the top of my head, I don't recall having heard any on Smooth Chill or Kisstory (unless I've been listening at the wrong times). I doubt very much that they have them on Fun Kids either – and Birdsong certainly never had them.

I'm sure there are few, Radio 4 Extra doesn't of course either. 

But it always surprises me tuning around how many stations have a news bulletin and 4 minutes of adverts at the top of the hour. It's an obvious 'tune-out' point a station can take advantage of - I'll normally turn over to 6 Music at xx:56 because I know there'll be music and not 6 minutes of ads news 

That said there's not that much independence, with so much being Global and Bauer nowadays. The Bauer stations in particular have exactly the same hourly clock on every station.
Somewhat amusing this topic has come up just a day after this was released:

youtu.be 

I kissed a gull and I liked it!
[-] The following 1 user Likes BBI45's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

Quote:Ofcom has revoked Absolute Radio’s AM licence following Bauer’s decision to cease broadcasting the service before the end of its licence period.

The station’s licence was renewed for a period of ten years from May 2021. Last month, Bauer confirmed that it would no longer broadcast the station on AM but will continue to broadcast nationally on DAB.

Under section 111(4) of the Broadcasting Act 1990, if Ofcom is satisfied that a national service licence holder has ceased to provide the service before the end of the licence period and it is appropriate to do so, it must revoke the licence.

RadioToday

Update on this: Ofcom has fined Bauer £25,000 for terminating Absolute's AM broadcasts before the end of their license period.

www.ofcom.org.uk 
[-] The following 2 users Like strollfan's post:
  • AndrewP, Roger Darthwell

I'm guessing that fine is likely significantly less than the savings they're making anyway.