TV in 3D, will it ever catch on?

I can't see 3D Tv catching on. It was a fad and fads vanish just as soon as they appear. I think that manufacturers are obsessed with making their TV bigger and better than their competitors. Some advancements are welcome such as bigger screens but some are just vanity projects such as 3D TV.

Augmented Reality seems to be the new trend in TV production although that technology in itself isn't particulary a 'new' invention!

AR needs quite a bit of processing power to create ... and then to actually detect location, shapes, orientation
and render the resultant overlay ..
Hence needing two way communications at the viewer....
so perhaps too complex for widespread use..

(But i remember masking PCB to illuminate where the next component was to go
and lighting the bin it was in)

I think AR is often used as shorthand for motion tracked graphics overlaid on a studio feed - which can be rather tastefully done.

Bundesliga are a big fan of using it on spidercam/drone shots at stadiums, much of which isn't too obtrusive; and some of which is a bit OTT. As ridiculous as it is, I really love the floating cube with the league table which then takes off above the ground.

youtu.be 

the giant player team sheets feel a bit like they've crossed a line into silliness though
vimeo.com