Paris 2024 Summer Olympics

(Yesterday, 02:12 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  I assume just the one stream, though I guess RTÉ have never been able to offer more than that? And do RTÉ have much presence onsite for a Summer Olympics? I guess the presentation is still from Dublin as is the case with any other international sport. Plus, how much of their own commentary do vs. taking the world feed?

There is no mention of an additional stream in the article. They didn’t have one for Tokyo although they did show some extra events live on the RTÉ Player when there was a clash of two events featuring Irish athletes. The last time they had a full additional stream was Rio which was the last games they had exclusive rights for. Back then they had all day coverage on the RTÉ News Channel along with RTÉ 2.

I assume the main presentation will be from Dublin with some presence onsite. In Tokyo they did have two presenters on-site to present the overnight coverage due to the time difference with the daytime presentation from Dublin.

In Tokyo they had their own commentary both on-site and off tube from Dublin for most of the coverage. They did use world feed commentary for some of the more minor sports and the golf.
[-] The following 1 user Likes AJB39's post:
  • RhysJR

Talking of on-site I've seen an articleclaiming the Gabby and Clare will only do the evening session due to French Labour laws stipulating an 11 hour break between shifts.

www.telegraph.co.uk 

The law might be the case but presenters usually only do one shift anyway - and the only reason Gabby would have done both sessions in Rio was to give her some daytime airtime on BBC1 with the main sessions being overnight.

However if that law is in place it would surely affect commentary teams, and there has been no indication of sports having separate commentary for morning and evening sessions. I'd imagine there are exceptions in place as if often the case when sporting events come to town. Gabby is quoted in that article as saying Janette will be covering the morning sessions from the studio which presumably means she can't be trackside in the evenings, but neither could anyone else in both morning and afternoon.

Surely athletes would be affected too if they're strict to the letter of the law - just like presenters they don't start and finish their "work" in accordance to the days timetable - they'll be morning warm ups and evening warm downs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • RhysJR

Usually commenters would be able to do both morning and night sessions. It's rest time between work days that needs to be long enough If I get this right.

Don't have access to the Telegraph article so I don't know what this precise situation is about.

The Telegraph is also know for having an anti-French slant so I wouldn't be surprised that they're blowing this out of proportion
[-] The following 1 user Likes DamC's post:
  • RhysJR

Oddly I could read that article today but couldn't when I saw it a couple of days ago. Agree it's likely them making a mountain out of a molehill. The morning sessions in both athletics and swimming usually start over 12 hours after the end of the evening session anyway, but of course we're not to assume a broadcasters day starts with the first race and ends with the last.

Does seem once again Gabby won't appear until the athletics starts, which is a shame if Clare is poolside in week one. The listings suggests she is for the night Adam Peaty is expected to swim at least.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • RhysJR

A two part documentary going behind the scenes of the planning of the Opening Ceremony will quite surprisingly air ahead of the ceremony on rights holders around the world, with it exclusive to Discovery in Europe other than on France TV.

olympics.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald, Mort

More content is starting to appear on iPlayer. There's a lot of short 2-10 minute features with different British athletes, as well as a Gladiators based Olympics challenge. There's also a 'Classic Olympics Channel' which looks to be just the Britain's Greatest Olympic Moments programmeand thse features on repeat, with some added iPlayer ads between each showing!

www.bbc.co.uk 

(Yesterday, 04:05 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Talking of on-site I've seen an articleclaiming the Gabby and Clare will only do the evening session due to French Labour laws stipulating an 11 hour break between shifts.

www.telegraph.co.uk 

The law might be the case but presenters usually only do one shift anyway - and the only reason Gabby would have done both sessions in Rio was to give her some daytime airtime on BBC1 with the main sessions being overnight.

However if that law is in place it would surely affect commentary teams, and there has been no indication of sports having separate commentary for morning and evening sessions. I'd imagine there are exceptions in place as if often the case when sporting events come to town. Gabby is quoted in that article as saying Janette will be covering the morning sessions from the studio which presumably means she can't be trackside in the evenings, but neither could anyone else in both morning and afternoon.

Surely athletes would be affected too if they're strict to the letter of the law - just like presenters they don't start and finish their "work" in accordance to the days timetable - they'll be morning warm ups and evening warm downs.

That sems a bit unrealistic. Not sure when this law was brought into force, but at the 2022 European Championships, French broadcasters broke that restriction every day. I doubt they would take advantage of being outside of France to break French employment law. On the other hand, NBC have for many sports a morning session and evening session commentators, but I just thought that was NBC heavily investing in the Olympics.

Plus Mark Chapman technically has two shifts, on Radio 5 Live in the afternoon and on the BBC One highlights in the evening. You could argue that he begins prep and rehearsals for the highlights as soon as he comes off air on the radio, but that sounds filmsy as Gabby could have done the same if they wanted.

An example here from 2022, as you can see France tv's swimming commentator covered races in the am and pm, which is apparently illegal in France.
olympics.icdb.tv 

Hasn't been billed separately but the last 45 minutes of the Diamond League slot this afternoon is being promoted within the show as a preview of the Olympics, though not sure if it's only athletics focused.

A shame the dedicated preview show on the eve of the games has dropped away for the last few games - always thought they were a good way to introduce viewers to the city and main athletes to look out for.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • RhysJR, UTVLifer

(Yesterday, 10:12 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  More content is starting to appear on iPlayer. There's a lot of short 2-10 minute features with different British athletes, as well as a Gladiators based Olympics challenge. There's also a 'Classic Olympics Channel' which looks to be just the Britain's Greatest Olympic Moments programmeand thse features on repeat, with some added iPlayer ads between each showing!

www.bbc.co.uk 

Just caught the end of a junction and a rare outing for this BBC iPlayer slide (albeit for half a second):

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.