MTV EMAs cancelled

For the first time in its history, the 2023 MTV Europe Music Awards, that were to take place on the 5th November in Paris, have been cancelled due to safety and security concerns in the city as there have been some recent events in Europe caused by the ongoing war in the Middle East, such as one that happened in Brussels. Not only that but France is also on high alert too.

Paramount Global have said in a statement:
"Given the volatility of world events, we have decided not to move forward with the 2023 MTV EMAs out of an abundance of caution for the thousands of employees, crew members, artists, fans, and partners who travel from all corners of the world to bring the show to life."

"The MTV EMAs are an annual celebration of global music. As we watch the devastating events in Israel and Gaza continue to unfold, this does not feel like a moment for a global celebration. With thousands of lives already lost, it is a moment of mourning. We look forward to hosting the MTV EMAs again in November of 2024.” 
deadline.com 

It's a real shame considering that I was excited for these awards, but there is some good news. The voting for the awards are still open and MTV also confirmed they will still give the winners their awards.

According to the article, it seems other events in Europe might be pulled cos of the war. I reckon Junior Eurovision could be next considering the high alert in the host country at the moment. We'll have to see what the EBU decides to do cos the safety of the kids performing, staff and everyone in Nice is really important, even right now.
[-] The following 3 users Like Edogawa Ranpo's post:
  • bkman1990, Happy2001, JosiahStuart

Eurovision will be fine - this is just Americans over reacting as we've seen in similar situations in the past.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AJB39, UTVLifer

MTV are still airing ads for the EMAs just seen one on MTV 90s

(19-10-2023, 07:00 PM)Bennyboy84 Wrote:  MTV are still airing ads for the EMAs just seen one on MTV 90s

Probably to promote the voting, which is still going on on the website. But I do wish they'd get the memo already.

Bonkers decision. When is France ever not on high alert?
[-] The following 7 users Like dvboy's post:
  • AJB39, AxG, bilky asko, Brekkie, ethanjbrady, orange, what

The only reason this might make sense is if there was a credible threat to the event that is not being made public. Otherwise, why do anything at the moment? You could technically get killed any time you leave the house!
[-] The following 5 users Like strollfan's post:
  • AJB39, AxG, Edogawa Ranpo, mouseboy33, Newshound47

Does anyone know how well last year’s ceremony rated? I have an odd feeling that they might’ve taken the opportunity to pull the plug whilst they could.
[-] The following 1 user Likes orange's post:
  • what