Netflix

(19-10-2023, 09:20 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Netflix is jacking prices up again:
www.bbc.co.uk 

Basic plan: Up by £1 a month to £7.99 per month
Standard: Unchanged at £10.99 per month
Premium: Up £2 to £17.99 per month

Believe there is no change to the £4.99 offering, though whether this news will push people towards that remains to be seen.
Being pedantic the basic plan was scrapped, and the entry tier is now 'Standard with ads'.

I can't help wondering if long term they'd be better moving to just two plans, a 'with adverts' and 'without adverts'. As far as I can see the differences between standard and premium are that you can have twice as many simultaneous streams, and you can watch some programmes in 4K and HDR. Given Netflix's clampdown on password sharing I wonder how many people still need more than two streams. It would be interesting if Netflix were to give a breakdown of the numbers/percentages of people using each tier.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

I'm guessing the whole "crack down on password sharing so more people pay for their own subscriptions" thing isn't working out too well for them.

(19-10-2023, 11:16 AM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  I'm guessing the whole "crack down on password sharing so more people pay for their own subscriptions" thing isn't working out too well for them.

They added 8m subscribers last quarter so probably paid off for them.

(19-10-2023, 12:25 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  They added 8m subscribers last quarter so probably paid off for them.

Yes it's been a huge success: www.theguardian.com 

(19-10-2023, 10:12 AM)Keith Wrote:  Being pedantic the basic plan was scrapped, and the entry tier is now 'Standard with ads'.
Turns out I should have read a more user-friendly article before commenting, as it is the discontinued 'basic' tier that is increasing.

I wouldn't be too surprised if over the next few years the discontinued 'basic' tier increases to be even closer to the standard tier price, to further reduce any benefit of staying on that tier. There's a nice explainer and comparison of tiers at www.moneysavingexpert.com  .

Netflix gaind 13.1 million subscribers globally in the last quarter of 2023, meaning more than 30 million extra joined over the whole year. It seems the password sharing crackdown has initially worked.

news.sky.com 

(24-01-2024, 05:02 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Netflix gaind 13.1 million subscribers globally in the last quarter of 2023, meaning more than 30 million extra joined over the whole year. It seems the password sharing crackdown has initially worked.

news.sky.com 
I couldn't spot it in the Sky News article, but I couldn't help noticing that the BBC News article mentioned...
Quote:Netflix said it was confident in its growth path and was planning to raise prices.

"We largely put price increases on hold as we rolled out paid sharing. Now that we're through that, we're able to resume our standard approach," co-chief executive Greg Peters said on a call with analysts to discuss its latest quarterly update.
Ref: www.bbc.co.uk 

So a case of "we've made money by cracking down on password sharing, now we're going to make even more by putting up prices".

[-] The following 2 users Like Keith's post:
  • Brekkie, RhysJR

They literally exist to make money, so fair play to them it’s up to people if they want to subscribe. Apart from the occasional programme you hear about there is nothing on there I’d particularly want to watch.