Thames Television 1990 logo

Has anyone seen the clip of the ITV Telethon 90 opening titles which featured an early appearance of the Thames Television blue and gold triangle logo?

See here (at around 0:02): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16rauC0bGmI

I wonder if the Thames Television's triangle logo which was introduced in 1990 also actually made earlier appearances (including in print form) on merchandise and others as well?

Thoughts?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael Kenchington's post:
  • Spencer

That's not the same version of the logo that they started to use on air that September either.

It's just the print version with blue text on a white background instead of the other way around.

(10-02-2023, 02:05 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  It's just the print version with blue text on a white background instead of the other way around.

I see what you mean, but has the print version of the 1990 Thames Triangle logo actually made earlier appearances on merchandise such as Count Duckula and Rainbow magazines, among others prior to Thames's blue and gold triangle logo being introduced on 3rd September 1990?

I'd need a TARDIS to answer that. I actually had some of those Rainbow mags - and I'm sure some had the triangle logo on. But they could be from 1991 or 1992.

Did any other ITV companies have slightly different versions of their logos on official.

The logo in the Telefone clip looks to be official logo of the company, IF you look at this clip which has news reports about 1991 franchise round the BBC are using Thames logo from 1989. ( It proves people have been using out of date logos for donkey years )

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like Milkshake's post:
  • London Lite, Stuart

It's a different era when corporate branding was less of a priority. The days when the BBC used the stencilled TWO ident but the previous striped BBC2 legend persisted on the test card.

October 1991? This is after that inconsistency stopped. The 1991 rebrand got rid of any outdated branding like that.

I don't remember there been much coverage about Oracle losing its licence.

(14-02-2023, 02:24 AM)Former Member 443 Wrote:  That BBC report has always annoyed me. TSW did not lose because it offered "nothing special", that was nonsense - if they had bid nine million, for example, they'd have won, as their programme quality (in common with all the other incumbents) was quite sufficient to meet the requirements.

Not necessarily, it wasn't always the highest bidder that won, though that was the original plan in the first place. If it had then then things would have been a lot different and we'd see problems down the line.

The obvious example here was CPV-TV, which bid the most for London daytime, but we have since found out that their news provision was going to be provided by TV-am. But there was no plan for what they'd do instead if TV-am didn't win. Purely on the case of not having the highest bid, TV-am loses. So CPV-TV suddenly has no news provider. This may be easy enough to resolve, but going to another provider and not the one you said you were going to use doesn't look good (unless of course it's due to circumstances beyond your control).

TSW I believe was failed because of an unrealistic business plan and they apparently wouldn't be able to afford £16m a year, so Westcountry TV, come on down. Not that it mattered in the end anyway regarding those payments because they all went cap in hand to the ITC and got them reduced.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • DE88