Cheerio to Charlie Fairhead (Casualty)

(15-03-2024, 02:53 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Was suprised to hear Another Rock And Roll Christmas left in today's Drama episode of Casualty from Christmas 1997. In fact considering the episode would have gone out not long after Glitter's original arrest (though likely filmed shortly before), suprised it wasn't edited out of the episode back in 1997, he was cut out of Spiceworld at the same time.

I think there is a difference between an apperence by him and his music being played in the background. Plus editing archive stuff just feels wrong.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Newshound47's post:
  • Nobby

Today's episode on Drama, the series 12 finale, was the episode that went out on the night that the BBC put out an evening on programmes in 14:9 to test viewers reactions. And it's going out on Drama in.... 14:9- so presumably it must have actually been made that way (well, I assume it was made in 4:3 with the 14:9 bars overlaid in post production, rather than on broadcast). The framing is very off though at times, as if it wasn't made with the 14:9 matting in mind- possibly a decision made after the episode was filmed? Though it seems there's an uncropped 4:3 version out there too, as there's a video on Youtube from a pre-2001 UK Gold repeat without the letterboxing. I remember reading from someone who worked on Noel's House Party that it was much the same- made in 4:3, with bars overlaid (as the studio it came from wasn't 16:9 capable at that point).

Though it seems there's an uncropped 4:3 version as well, as this video from a pre-2001 UK Gold repeat shows: www.youtube.com 

The other shows that night were the Generation Game, the lottery and Jonathan Creek- the latter was definitely proper 16:9, as indeed was every other episode on the second series, as has been shown by all the repeats, can't speak for the other two though.

The show will be in proper 16:9 from the next episode.
[-] The following 2 users Like James2001's post:
  • Happy2001, Nobby

(28-03-2024, 04:54 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Today's episode on Drama, the series 12 finale, was the episode that went out on the night that the BBC put out an evening on programmes in 14:9 to test viewers reactions. And it's going out on Drama in.... 14:9- so presumably it must have actually been made that way (well, I assume it was made in 4:3 with the 14:9 bars overlaid in post production, rather than on broadcast). The framing is very off though at times, as if it wasn't made with the 14:9 matting in mind- possibly a decision made after the episode was filmed? Though it seems there's an uncropped 4:3 version out there too, as there's a video on Youtube from a pre-2001 UK Gold repeat without the letterboxing. I remember reading from someone who worked on Noel's House Party that it was much the same- made in 4:3, with bars overlaid (as the studio it came from wasn't 16:9 capable at that point).

Though it seems there's an uncropped 4:3 version as well, as this video from a pre-2001 UK Gold repeat shows: www.youtube.com 

The other shows that night were the Generation Game, the lottery and Jonathan Creek- the latter was definitely proper 16:9, as indeed was every other episode on the second series, as has been shown by all the repeats, can't speak for the other two though.

The show will be in proper 16:9 from the next episode.
Well it’s in 16.9 today but it looks stretchy to me and with important things happening on the side of the screen which would have been cut for most viewers at the fame if it was aired like that.

And after having series 10-12 going out properly, looks like we're back to episodes being affected by the technical zooming/de-interlacing fault that's been plauging UKTV for the last year. Still beggars belief that it's still not been noticed or fixed after so long.