Streaming subscriptions fall

www.bbc.co.uk 

Not surprising with the cost of living crisis.

(30-01-2023, 02:11 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  www.bbc.co.uk 
Not surprising with the cost of living crisis.
I think the other factor which may be at play is that in 2020 and to some extent 2021 many people were on furlough due to Covid, as well as others 'working' from home. I imagine that some people may have previously taken out an annual subscription on account of it being cheaper than paying month. Come renewal last year people were back at work, often in the office, and combined with price increases found it harder to justify the subscription.

Additionally I'm guessing that those on free trials may also count as subscribers. Personally, I'm still on a 6 month free trial with Apple TV, however will be cancelling it when the trial ends (as it's rubbish in my opinion as it's hard to tell at a quick glance what's free and what costs extra).

I wonder if over the next few years we'll see a few of the streaming services merge or close. Prime Video already allows you to access additional subscriptions via its facilities (e.g. Britbox, Paramount+). Meanwhile I gather Discovery+ is now available free to BT customers.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

(30-01-2023, 02:48 PM)Keith Wrote:  Meanwhile I gather Discovery+ is now available free to BT customers.

It's also now free on Sky Q, Stream and Glass.