Government re-examining case for selling Channel 4

(06-01-2023, 05:36 PM)all new phil Wrote:  I’m glad it’s not being sold but I’d love the Channel 4 of old to return.
I think that’s the key point point. If it’s sold off it can’t be undone and amongst other things you’d probably see a watering down of any public service obligations over time and there will be no chance of Channel 4 taking more creative risks.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jon's post:
  • all new phil, benzj, strollfan

(06-01-2023, 07:50 PM)Jon Wrote:  I think that’s the key point point. If it’s sold off it can’t be undone and amongst other things you’d probably see a watering down of any public service obligations over time and there will be no chance of Channel 4 taking more creative risks.

I suppose the point I was trying to make is that I'm not so sure C4 is taking any more creative risks than any other broadcaster at the moment.

It certainly seems a long time ago since we saw something which I think was really creatively risky - the inbetweeners - I definitely couldn't see that commissioned today in todays rather strange post commonsense politically correct climate.

Scrubbing through the schedules for this weekend.... not a lot of innovative, creatively risky programmes to be found....

GET FUNKY | BE FUNKY | STAY FUNKY | YO HUSSLE HUSSLE

(06-01-2023, 08:01 PM)Parsons Wrote:  
(06-01-2023, 07:50 PM)Jon Wrote:  I think that’s the key point point. If it’s sold off it can’t be undone and amongst other things you’d probably see a watering down of any public service obligations over time and there will be no chance of Channel 4 taking more creative risks.
I suppose the point I was trying to make is that I'm not so sure C4 is taking any more creative risks than any other broadcaster at the moment.

It certainly seems a long time ago since we saw something which I think was really creatively risky - the inbetweeners - I definitely couldn't see that commissioned today in todays rather strange post commonsense politically correct climate.

Scrubbing through the schedules for this weekend.... not a lot of innovative, creatively risky programmes to be found....
C4 had revenue of £1.2billion in 2021, which was an increase of 25%. They've certainly got the money to be more risky with their programming, and plenty of channels on which to try them out.

Let's face it, Nadine Dorries had it in for Channel 4 and its supposed left leaning news. It was a bad decision made by someone wholly unsuitable for the role of minister for culture. At least the 'new' administration realises this, finally.
[-] The following 3 users Like Lester's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, TVFan

Naked Ambition is a format that wouldn't get commissioned by any other PSB except for Channel 4.

There's still innovation there, but C4 have had to become more mainstream to maintain ad revenue and audience share.

(08-01-2023, 04:39 PM)Lester Wrote:  Let's face it, Nadine Dorries had it in for Channel 4 and its supposed left leaning news. It was a bad decision made by someone wholly unsuitable for the role of minister for culture. At least the 'new' administration realises this, finally.

The first suggestions that the Conservatives might review the future of Channel 4 came about in 2019 after they complained at Johnson being replaced with a melting ice sculpture of the Earth when he declined to take part in the leaders’ debate on climate.

www.theguardian.com 

So it would seem that the policy might have come about from higher up than Dorries initially, although as Johnson’s most devoted minister, I’m sure she was more than happy to champion it.

Either way, yes, it’s a relief that common sense has finally been seen.

(06-01-2023, 05:36 PM)all new phil Wrote:  I’m becoming increasingly amused at people citing It’s A Sin - a high profile but not actually that good series from 2 years ago - as being one of the things Channel 4 does well.

Few days late to this but have to strongly disagree with this. It’s a Sin was easily one of their best dramas in many, many years. And I say that as someone who normally can’t stand Russell T Davies dramas. 

Having said that I couldn’t get on board with the comments that only C4 would commission a show like this, especially given that not long after Netflix released the far more innovative LGBT drama Heartstopper.
[-] The following 4 users Like gottago's post:
  • bkman1990, cando, London Lite, Tim G

(11-01-2023, 11:53 AM)gottago Wrote:  Having said that I couldn’t get on board with the comments that only C4 would commission a show like this, especially given that not long after Netflix released the far more innovative LGBT drama Heartstopper.

In terms of broadcasters, rather than streaming services, there is some truth in this though, as both the BBC and ITV turned It's A Sin down before C4 commissioned it.

Also Heartstopper was a very different programme in terms of tone and subject matter. It was also aimed at a younger, more streaming-friendly demographic where Netflix would be its natural home. So I'm not sure you can compare the two.
[-] The following 3 users Like Spencer's post:
  • bkman1990, strollfan, Tim G

(11-01-2023, 05:35 PM)Spencer Wrote:  
(11-01-2023, 11:53 AM)gottago Wrote:  Having said that I couldn’t get on board with the comments that only C4 would commission a show like this, especially given that not long after Netflix released the far more innovative LGBT drama Heartstopper.

In terms of broadcasters, rather than streaming services, there is some truth in this though, as both the BBC and ITV turned It's A Sin down before C4 commissioned it.
It’s difficult to make that claim based on one example a few years ago though.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jon's post:
  • all new phil, bkman1990