Nicola Sturgeon is to stand down as Scottish First Minister

(15-02-2023, 05:36 PM)Jon Wrote:  
(15-02-2023, 12:06 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  BBC One Scotland just ran a strap telling viewers to switch channels to watch breaking news.

[Image: scotland.png]
It does seem like something that’s worthy of breaking into BBC One Scotland for. Of course they’ll use this as an example of BBC Scotland coming into its own. But the reality in this case the Scottish audience would have been better served with a BBC Two Scotland taking the BBC One schedule and One Scotland covering it live. After all if it was the UK PM it would have been on network BBC One.

You are absolutely right, also as far as I know all that the BBC Scotland channel did was airing a simulcast of BBC News, and to think that it's going to be CBBC, BBC Four and BBC Radio 4 Extra that will be closed down instead.......but I digress
[-] The following 3 users Like Roger Darthwell's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, UTVLifer

An extended 'Reporting Scotland' replacing 'The One Show' this evening on BBC One Scotland.

[Image: tig96x96.png]

(15-02-2023, 07:22 PM)Andrew Wood Wrote:  An extended 'Reporting Scotland' replacing 'The One Show' this evening on BBC One Scotland.

Certainly makes sense to do an extended programme. However, I don’t understand why they don’t use the BBC Scotland channel for displaced network programming in these kinds of events (ie why not put the One Show there instead of the 16th airing of an episode of ‘Fish Town’ from 2019).

(15-02-2023, 08:05 PM)LargelyALurker Wrote:  
(15-02-2023, 07:22 PM)Andrew Wood Wrote:  An extended 'Reporting Scotland' replacing 'The One Show' this evening on BBC One Scotland.

Certainly makes sense to do an extended programme. However, I don’t understand why they don’t use the BBC Scotland channel for displaced network programming in these kinds of events (ie why not put the One Show there instead of the 16th airing of an episode of ‘Fish Town’ from 2019).
Because that would make far too much sense. I think it comes down to not wanting any content on the channel that’s from the London based network. Even though in this case it would more and make sense to do so.

(15-02-2023, 08:10 PM)Jon Wrote:  Because that would make far too much sense.
Indeed.  If anything, it only ever happens in the other direction.  BBC ONE Scotland weeknight programmes are often displaced to show content that's already aired on the BBC Scotland channel.

They used to dump The One Show on certain nights to show repeats of the soap River City (although it seems to have disappeared from schedules right now), and just last week Friday night's Would I Lie to You? was dropped on BBC ONE Scotland so they could show Life on The Bay, a docuseries about a Fife caravan park.
[-] The following 4 users Like scottishtv's post:
  • bkman1990, LargelyALurker, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

(15-02-2023, 02:31 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  
(15-02-2023, 12:48 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  And this is why a UK focused news channel is crucial in the mornings.

The morning is the main time it will be UK focused, albeit via a 5 Live simulcast
The Nicky Campbell show though is views, not news - and that has become a problem across broadcast news in recent years.

(15-02-2023, 08:05 PM)LargelyALurker Wrote:  

Having BBC2 Scotland offered far more flexibility than BBC Scotland seems to in these cases where a Scottish programme warrants being on BBC1 Scotland. Talking of BBC2 presumably they were simulcasting the news channel this morning as usual so viewers could have been pointed there instead.
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, LargelyALurker, Roger Darthwell

By the end of the day Sky has sidelined the resignation story, with the leading story at 10 being Nicola Bulley update.
BBC retains it as its top story spending first 15+ minutes after the headlines with it.

(15-02-2023, 11:45 PM)oscillon Wrote:  By the end of the day Sky has sidelined the resignation story, with the leading story at 10 being Nicola Bulley update.
BBC retains it as its top story spending first 15+ minutes after the headlines with it.

ITV led on Sturgeon's resignation for the first 20+ minutes of NAT last night

(15-02-2023, 01:56 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  
(15-02-2023, 01:00 PM)Jon Wrote:  This isn’t a good example, as I’m sure coverage would be maintained for something like this.
How exactly? With what journalists,  producers, presenter, director,  technical support staff required to deliver properly crafted Broadcasting content?

News and events that are most worth covering usually are the surprise events.

Breaking news still requires all of those people too, give or take some!
[-] The following 3 users Like Charles's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, interestednovice