Turkey & Syria Earthquake Coverage

It's probably worth starting its own thread to avoid multiple posts across threads. 

This story has been steadily developing and is now clearly a major disaster. 

CNNI have been with the story in rolling news mode since it started at around 3am GMT.

BBC News are now in Rolling News mode with the News Channel opting into World's coverage after opener at 9am.

Sky News have also gone into rolling news mode since around 6am. 

Worthy points: CNN's Laila Harrak has been outstanding, I've never caught her covering a story like this. 

Luquesha Burak - Abysmal at covering this kind of story. Unwatchable. 

BBC Breakfast - Can't help but feel Jon Kay can be a little too over dramatic with his gasps for air when covering stories such as this. A bit unnecessary. 
[-] The following 2 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • bkman1990, UTVLifer

(06-02-2023, 10:15 AM)Newsroom Wrote:  It's probably worth starting its own thread to avoid multiple posts across threads. 

CNNI have been with the story in rolling news mode since it started at around 3am GMT.

BBC News are now in Rolling News mode with the News Channel opting into World's coverage after opener at 9am.

Worthy points: CNN's Laila Harrak has been outstanding, I've never caught her covering a story like this. 

BBC Breakfast - Can't help but feel Jon Kay can be a little too over dramatic with his gasps for air when covering stories such as this. A bit unnecessary. 
If you're going to be unkind about someone you could at least have the decency to get their name right.
[-] The following 6 users Like Alf Stewart's post:
  • bkman1990, Critique, harshy, London Lite, Scratch_Perry, Spencer

(06-02-2023, 10:27 AM)Alf Stewart Wrote:  
(06-02-2023, 10:15 AM)Newsroom Wrote:  It's probably worth starting its own thread to avoid multiple posts across threads. 

If you're going to be unkind about someone you could at least have the decency to get their name right.
It's called an opinion! The correct spelling is Lukwesa Burak. You'll find a few others managed to get the same name wrong in other threads. I thank you for highlighting the problem.
[-] The following 2 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • bkman1990, mouseboy33

Regarding overnight, it was not Lukwesa, but Lucy Grey who was on air. Interestingly, the BBC decided not to go into the rolling news mode, devoting significant (10 mins) chunks of the half-hour bulletins to the earthquake, but retaining other news stories, as well as pre-recorded back of the hour shows.

Also, CNN had its correspondent, Jomana Karadsheh, live in Istanbul (which is considerably far away from where the earthquake had occurred). BBC had local journalists via videoconference + Azadeh Moshiri in the studio with the updates.

UPD. Around 6:45 AM ET CNNI opted out of CNN This Morning, with Max Foster in London anchoring and Jomana Karadsheh once again in Istanbul.
[Image: image.png]
UPD2. The opt-out turned out to be rather short, after around 5 minutes or so Max threw it back to CNN This Morning over a break.

Looking at the Turkish channels atm, all the main channels are in to rolling news mode as well as joining there respected news channels. Sports Channels are going as normal except for a Spor who are showing the same than atv (which is the news) and Bein Sports who are also covering this story and also added a black ribbon to their logo as a sign of respect. Kids Channel are normal as well and Music Channels are normal except for TRT Music who are showing TRT news at this moment.

Newsroom is right, just watch the opening of the 9am hour if you want to see it in context. Annita starts the hour sounding great, then they cut to Lukwesa and it was painful. It was like she lost the ability to read. Let’s hope Annita doesn’t lose out with all these job cuts.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chud's post:
  • UTVLifer

Were Annita and Lukwesa co-anchoring? Regarding what is said about her presentation here, it sounds like her usual modus operandi.

(06-02-2023, 02:35 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Were Annita and Lukwesa co-anchoring? Regarding what is said about her presentation here, it sounds like her usual modus operandi.
Nope, the news channel opted into world

Some posts have been removed from this thread.

Whilst opinion/debate is encouraged, we remind posters to use civilised/measured language at all times.

That does not mean that negative views about presenters are out of bounds. However, please think about your choice of words before posting.
[-] The following 5 users Like Affogato's post:
  • MLehon, Newsroom, Rolling News, Spencer, WhisperOfCinnamon

I havent been watching all of the rolling coverage, but it makes you wonder what the relationship CNN has with its affiliated/branded channels. Im surprised they arent just taking CNN Turk and laying over a English dubbing, maybe not the entire time but you'd think they take chunks of their coverage or even at least show it on air. I've seen CNNi using video from other channels but nothing, that I can tell its from CNN Turk. Also you'd have to imagine they'd have someone in the CNN Turk newsroom that speaks clear enough English to provide updates for the global audience. I know these branded channels are commercial enterprises, and they always tout them as a added value for CNNi. But rarely do I see these channels contribute anything to CNNi over all. Maybe they are doing somethings behind the scenes, but you'd think this would be the oppourtunity to really drive the point home they have "operations" in the country and have reporters there. Even though they are an independent channel. Seems like they dont have much to contribute overall to the Global CNN Universe. (LOL)

www.youtube.com