BBC iPlayer

I'd assume Suits will be leaving Netflix in the UK now the BBC have acquired the rights for it - whilst its enjoyed a huge resurgance on Netflix in the States over the last few years and now a LA spin-off is in the works.

Though its not technically the first time the BBC has had the rights as it originally aired on Dave in the UK until 2016, with seasons 7-9 dropping on Netflix after airing in the US

As somewhat of a testament to how popular Suits has become, the new LA spinoff is being developed for NBC rather than the cable-only USA Network which aired it first time around.

It wouldn't surprise me if Suits gets a repeat run at least on BBC Three, but it's another matter whether the BBC even have linear rights or not, although that is probably not a priority.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ACTV's post:
  • UTVLifer

Suits is a bit mild but regular with their swearing, but in the final few seasons they moved networks and then started including F's and MF's which is quite surprising when it suddenly gets thrown around like confetti.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rick's post:
  • UTVLifer

(21-03-2024, 02:30 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  I'd assume Suits will be leaving Netflix in the UK now the BBC have acquired the rights for it - whilst its enjoyed a huge resurgance on Netflix in the States over the last few years and now a LA spin-off is in the works.
I've never watched it, or have any intention of doing so.

I prefer the long-flogged 'Law & Order' franchise on C5/My5/5USA. It's been running for about 30 years as a programme.

I think I know most of the lines in the scripts by now. Tongue

(21-03-2024, 05:15 PM)rick Wrote:  Suits is a bit mild but regular with their swearing, but in the final few seasons they moved networks and then started including F's and MF's which is quite surprising when it suddenly gets thrown around like confetti.

Feels almost as if it's seen as a requirement for shows made for cable and streaming to have effing and jeffing in every other sentence these days... really puts me off watching things, it's usually so over the top, especially as it feels they're just thrown in for shock value and because they can rather than because there's actually any need for it. Especially when, as you say, it starts appearing in shows and franchises that never used it before, it's why I turned off Star Trek Picard and the revived Twilight Zone after a few episodes.

Was actually quite pleasantly suprised to see the revived Frasier is one of the few made streaming shows not explicitly aimed at kids/families that doesn't take this route- in fact 2 of the episodes have a U rating!
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • Brekkie

I've no issue with stronger language on TV at all in general but if a show like Coronation Street moves to Netflix you wouldn't expect Roy Cropper to develop a potty mouth.

It is lazy writing really and you'd think for show that don't originate on cable or streaming they would be a bit more considerate of the existing audiences and the potential to sell the series as a whole later on - although some series do have network friendly edits too.

And the thing with Star Trek is they've had all the movies where they had no network restrictions and they could have used f-bombs if they wanted, but clearly decided not to- the worst is a few sh*ts and b*stards, and even they feel appropriate in the narrative, not just thrown in for the hell of it. So the casual f-bombing in Picard really does stick out when you're familar with the rest of the franchise, which has always been more-or-less family friendly, and not in a good way. Same with the character who endlessly smokes on his cigar, in a franchise that's always gone out of its way to rarely depict smoking (even in the 60s where Gene Roddenberry had to fight to keep it out of the show) and even explictly say it's no longer a thing in the era it's set in- smoking being another thing that's drawn a lot of critisism for being an abundance of on streaming content.

Funnily enough the first f bomb in Picard did work, as it was meant to be unexpected and shock Picard as much as the audience, and if they'd left it at that it would have been impactful as a one off, but after that it just devolved into casually throwing it around.

I think they toned it down for the second and third seasons (from what I've read there's only 3 f bombs between them, but still plenty of not as strong, but still un-Star Trek like, language liberally thrown around), but I'd given up on the show well before then.

deadline.com 

Meanwhile in America Netflix have licensed Sex and the City from HBO and this is caused quite a stir about rival streamers sharing content.

Disney have a similar deal with Netflix for sharing some content. variety.com 

If it means you don't have to subscribe to a million different services to get content, it isn't a bad thing for consumers. It's getting annoying with content being spread out more and more thinly, so you need more and more subscriptions to get what you want (which are getting more and more expensive), so if some stuff appears on multiple services, it's good from that point of view.
[-] The following 4 users Like James2001's post:
  • AndrewP, ethanjbrady, GMc, Kunst