BBC iPlayer

(24-03-2023, 07:22 PM)Spencer Wrote:  
(24-03-2023, 04:34 PM)Kojak Wrote:  Nice to see that all of The League of Gentlemen has returned to the iPlayer, after a couple of years away. IMO it is probably the best comedy of the last 30 years.
Has it been edited at all? ISTR it was removed after concerns over Papa Lazarou’s black face make-up.
No, it is completely intact as broadcast. There is a warning that pops up at the start, but that is all.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kojak's post:
  • interestednovice, Spencer

Regional content on iPlayer is reportedly now streaming in HD (or upscaled where necessary).
[-] The following 4 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • CATV, interestednovice, Ma76, oscillon

Interesting that they’ve made that change without bothering to put out a BBC announcement.

They did previously say it would be done by the end of April though, I believe.

When will iPlayer streams be broadcast at 1080i/p broadcast quality, instead of 720p?

(31-03-2023, 02:44 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  Interesting that they’ve made that change without bothering to put out a BBC announcement.

When will iPlayer streams be broadcast at 1080i/p broadcast quality, instead of 720p?

It's a complex question. Are you referring specifically to the live channel streams, rather than on-demand programmes? The latter are sometimes available in 1080p but I believe this profile is only made available to certain devices, unless there's been a change I haven't noticed? However, live streams are still capped at 720p across the board AFAIK. On my LG TV there's no way (that I know of) to prove definitively what resolution is being streamed...
[-] The following 2 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • interestednovice, Ma76

Yeah it’s now 1080p50 and much higher bitrates then satellite which is 1080i25
[-] The following 1 user Likes harshy's post:
  • interestednovice

(31-03-2023, 10:14 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  
(31-03-2023, 02:44 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  Interesting that they’ve made that change without bothering to put out a BBC announcement.

It's a complex question. Are you referring specifically to the live channel streams, rather than on-demand programmes? The latter are sometimes available in 1080p but I believe this profile is only made available to certain devices, unless there's been a change I haven't noticed? However, live streams are still capped at 720p across the board AFAIK. On my LG TV there's no way (that I know of) to prove definitively what resolution is being streamed...
Yes, the live streams!

You can tell on desktop iPlayer by looking at the right-click menu, but I believe the streams are still 720p at the moment. It’s a bit disappointing that they are still not “broadcast quality” after all this time.
[-] The following 3 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • IanJRedman, Ma76, oscillon

Though I'd still take 720p50 over 1080p25 regardless.
[-] The following 4 users Like James2001's post:
  • IanJRedman, interestednovice, Ma76, oscillon

It seems to be on certain devices. BBC London on the PC is only 720p when watched in full screen, but 1080p/50fps when using the Amazon Fire TV Cube.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • interestednovice

I see, that explains the confusion!

I knew the regions weren’t in HD last week, because if I selected any channel other than BBC One, it was a 720p stream on my laptop (proving that my internet connection is easily good enough) but BBC One was still SD maximum - a function of the regional arrangements, of course.

I was slightly irritated that the BBC removed the “England” option in the regions drop-down well before launching the HD regions on iPlayer. I’d previously used that to stream BBC One HD (red screen version, of course) but lost the chance to do that around Christmas.

(01-04-2023, 01:41 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  I was slightly irritated that the BBC removed the “England” option in the regions drop-down well before launching the HD regions on iPlayer. I’d previously used that to stream BBC One HD (red screen version, of course) but lost the chance to do that around Christmas.

Not sure what device you are using iPlayer on, but when I access it through browser, the ability to choose England and get regionless HD stream is alive and well.
[Image: image.png]

(01-04-2023, 12:22 AM)London Lite Wrote:  It seems to be on certain devices. BBC London on the PC is only 720p when watched in full screen, but 1080p/50fps when using the Amazon Fire TV Cube.
I think everything on the PC is 720p or less, be that BBC London or newest Attenborough documentary. Not sure what it has to do with - is it the digital rights problem, the fear of pirating? But it is still 720p in DRM-friendly Edge. Fear for the servers to go down if everybody watching on a PC does that in 1080p50 instead of 720p50?
[-] The following 2 users Like oscillon's post:
  • London Lite, Ma76