STV Player

STV Player is soon to launch what I assume is its first original scripted show (possibly first original show full stop?) Dirty Water. It doesn't necessarily look fantastic, and it's low budget at £100k for three episodes, but interesting to see them move into scripted comedy, especially when I don't think STV the channel has aired any in many years. I wonder if it will ever get a linear repeat after the news or elsewhere in the schedule.

www.comedy.co.uk 

I see they're advertising Nolly as being on the STV Player - is no disclaimer on the ad but is that only for viewers in Scotland?

See quite a lot of their content is "not available on Youview" either. Firstly didn't realise Youview was still a thing, and secondly why would that be? Seems odd you'd have rights to transmit over Freeview Play and Smart TVs, but not via Youview.

(19-02-2023, 02:33 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I see they're advertising Nolly as being on the STV Player - is no disclaimer on the ad but is that only for viewers in Scotland?

See quite a lot of their content is "not available on Youview" either. Firstly didn't realise Youview was still a thing, and secondly why would that be? Seems odd you'd have rights to transmit over Freeview Play and Smart TVs, but not via Youview.

If you use a postcode within the two STV franchise areas, STV Player users can access ITVX exclusives and standard ITV shows as STV has a carriage agreement with ITV for those areas only. Otherwise viewers in the rest of the UK can only watch STV Player acquisitions.

Guess I might be moving to Glasgow then.  Wink

I get what people mean about the credits now - and it is annoying.   However apart from that the interface is quite nice and I like the bumpers too - simple, but done well considering most other platforms just crash to the ads.

I've been watching it on STV Player on Sky this morning. I just had to tinker with settings to make my TV show it as 4:3.

It's not a problem, as I'll just put it back after my little binge-fest.  The picture quality is dreadful, even though my 4K TV normally at least attempts to upscale things. Confused

(19-02-2023, 02:33 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  See quite a lot of their content is "not available on Youview" either.  Firstly didn't realise Youview was still a thing, and secondly why would that be?    Seems odd you'd have rights to transmit over Freeview Play and Smart TVs, but not via Youview.

Presumably some old technical issue with postcodes on Youview? It's possible they treat Youview as a legacy product now and don't update the app.

I've noticed that this week (1983) the credits on Brookside have become centrally-aligned, and are no longer left-aligned split between 'Cast', 'Administration', 'Production' etc - which did seem rather odd.