The Roku Channel

The Roku Channel, the lesser-known AVOD service from the device company, has axed and swiftly removed 37 shows from its service globally; nearly all of the titles were part of Roku's acquisition of the leftover assets of failed streamer Quibi. Additionally, it has removed from its US catalog the Bell Media series Children Ruin Everything. In all cases, cost-cutting, poor viewing figures and layoffs are to blame (although Children Ruin Everything already airs in the US on The CW).

variety.com 

variety.com 

And let me guess, there was no notification this stuff was going? It just vanished?

<insert usual spiel about physical media not having this problem here>

(08-09-2023, 06:28 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  <insert usual spiel about physical media not having this problem here>

It isn't wrong though.

Trying not to sound like a broken record Wink

It's being proved more and more though, the more streaming gets ingrained and physical media gets fewer releases. There's been so many streaming purges recently of content that never got a physical release, some of which could be gone forever because they were tax write offs.

These things go full circle though and technology doesn't always kill the legacy off - vinyl made a come back (some may say it never went away) as did cassettes made a comeback, in an era of digital MP3/4/OGG streaming which may provide better quality audio (not that I'd notice), but its still basically a file on a computer at the end of the day and you don't own a physical copy.

I still have tapes and CDs and DVDs and my parents still have lots of their original vinyl records they bought when they were young, plus they still have a lot of CDs, DVDs and videotapes and the ability to play all this stuff. Which is nice. Yes they have a computer but it's been there since about 2006 in various guises of hardware over the years and its has never seen an MP3 file, and I doubt it ever will.

Audio's different though to visual media as it's the same music whether you hear it on the radio, a tape, a record or a potato.
Whether visual medium (like video/VHS and potentially DVD) make a comeback remains to be seen, but the variables on its quality are wider ranging. Probably doesn't help that broadcasters seem to treat archive material in bad ways.

(08-09-2023, 08:07 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Audio's different though to visual media as it's the same music whether you hear it on the radio, a tape, a record or a potato.
Whether visual medium (like video/VHS and potentially DVD) make a comeback remains to be seen, but the variables on its quality are wider ranging.  Probably doesn't help that broadcasters seem to treat archive material in bad ways.

I guess that depends online music for years has mostly been lossy compression at often not brilliant bitrates (remember when 128kbps AAC was all the legal services offered- then wondered why people still pirated when they could get 320kbps, or even lossless, on there), only quite recently have some services started bringing in lossless- and touting it as a new, exciting product, often for a premium price, when it's literally just giving us the same quality CDs have been delivering for 40 years.

I guess only music online often only being lossy is similar to how interlaced TV content is really handled properly online, though admittedly that's a more noticable issue than the lossy compression, unless the bitrates really are horrendous.