BBC Website

This is incredibly niche. I don’t think it’s worth it.
[-] The following 4 users Like all new phil's post:
  • eyeTV, James, Jon, LondonViewer

BBC News have finally updated the favicon to the 3 blocks. It was always showing as just the 3 squares for me but this morning it is finally using the updated branding.
[-] The following 4 users Like rick's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, bkman1990, interestednovice, Stooky Bill

Coinciding with a launch of an updated news site - finally getting rid of the regional news and making sure there's as many pointers to alternatives to the website as possible.

(20-02-2024, 09:17 AM)mcrdev Wrote:  Coinciding with a launch of an updated news site - finally getting rid of the regional news and making sure there's as many pointers to alternatives to the website as possible.
The loss of the regional news headlines on the front page is probably the one thing I miss. With the demise of many regional newspaper website into a clickbait mess over recent years, this panel was handy for spotting local news.

Though regional news is still available via www.bbc.co.uk  it would be nice if from that page you could 'save favourites' and have a panel(s) for the saved local news favourites appear on the front page, or at the very least on the main local news page which currently only has a search box. At least the local news page (once on a location) shows the news articles in boxes, rather than in the long live news style it originally used.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

Also looks quite bare with just the headlines showing and no additional sub-headling underneath. Just a gap and then the details of the article.

tinypic.host 
Web Image

[-] The following 1 user Likes rick's post:
  • AndrewP

They also seem to have broken the RSS feed pages

I think the Sport ones broke around 2 years ago now

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...

Hard to really say anything other than it looks similar, but worse - which I guess applies to a lot of BBC News presentation over the last few years. The loss of story summaries combined with the increased number (or certainly dominance) of pictures just makes it look too busy if anything. The main story feels less impactful, being uncomfortably arranged in relation to the other stories. The more inconsistent use of the separator lines also adds to a bit of a messy feel.
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • Brekkie, steve

Fully agree with that - I mean, this just looks a mess.

Where is your eye meant to go? It breaks so many standards of good design.

[-] The following 2 users Like steve's post:
  • DTV, thePineapple

The designers seem to have gained the "Sidam" touch ever since the merger began...

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...

Not sure how new it is, but I noticed in the master header when logged in instead of stating your name it reads "For You". Clicking on this now takes you to www.bbc.co.uk .

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.