New BBC News Website

(22-03-2024, 01:58 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Are there any BBC apps beyond the six with icons?

For me on Google Play, there are four CBeebies apps, four foreign language BBC News apps (Mundo (Spanish), Russian, Hindi and Arabic) and BBC Cymru Fyw for Welsh news.

(22-03-2024, 01:58 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I guess there is a fee for listing each app so in that regard it makes sense - of course the BBC News and BBC Sport apps are long gone from smart TVs now. A mistake in both cases IMO - but not so much because the apps went but the content largely went too, or became trickier to navigate at least.

Are there any BBC apps beyond the six with icons?

It’s a nightmare trying to find streamed sport content on BBC Iplayer.

Plus of course many areas of the UK still don’t have broadband that is strong enough to stream Tv reliably.

(22-03-2024, 03:39 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  It’s a nightmare trying to find streamed sport content on BBC Iplayer.

Agree - always feel any live content should be flagged on the home page of the iPlayer but you generally have to go in to the sport section to find it. Similarly on the BBC Sport app the "Live Guide" mixes in video with radio commentary and just live text updates too so it's not always obvious what is actually being shown.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Jeff, Newshound47

(22-03-2024, 11:28 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Agree - always feel any live content should be flagged on the home page of the iPlayer but you generally have to go in to the sport section to find it. Similarly on the BBC Sport app the "Live Guide" mixes in video with radio commentary and just live text updates too so it's not always obvious what is actually being shown.

The other week i must have spent about 3 minutes searching for the British Indoor athletics stream until I found it. Baring in mind searching through a connected TV or Firestick takes considerably longer to type things in.

(13-03-2024, 09:45 AM)bkman1990 Wrote:  It's now available in the Republic of Ireland as well.

Seemed to be some problem this evening on the UK tab where until at least 615pm the colourful George Cross story remained in prime position with the Kate story in the "in other news" section .

(22-03-2024, 01:58 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I guess there is a fee for listing each app so in that regard it makes sense - of course the BBC News and BBC Sport apps are long gone from smart TVs now. A mistake in both cases IMO - but not so much because the apps went but the content largely went too, or became trickier to navigate at least.

Are there any BBC apps beyond the six with icons?

Yes (the bottom BBC Sounds app appears to be a legacy version of some sort)

image below……..

up.metropol247.co.uk 
Web Image

[-] The following 1 user Likes bilky asko's post:
  • Brekkie

(24-03-2024, 11:17 AM)bilky asko Wrote:  Yes (the bottom BBC Sounds app appears to be a legacy version of some sort)

image below……..

up.metropol247.co.uk 

Hi there Bilky.

Did a look at BBC Media App Technologies on the Google Play App store via Google Chrome. That other BBC Sounds app the one without the icon and has the orange background seems to be the one designed for televisions as it has the following in its description:

Quote:For more information about how and why we use information about you, please visit the BBC Sounds TV Privacy Notice. www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 1 user Likes AaronLancs's post:
  • bilky asko