Death of Charles Foster

As you mention Krypton Factor, that gives an opportunity to pay tribute to Charles Foster, in-vision Granada announcer who provided the Krypton Factor voice over, whose death has been reported this week.

twitter.com 

twitter.com 

Mr Granada, in many ways, heard more recently as the voice over on Judge Rinder.

Admin edit: split from Gameshow thread.
[-] The following 3 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • DE88, Larry the Loafer, Si-Co

This is sad news. I had seen it mentioned in various places, from sources quite close to Charles, but nothing “official”. I’m quite surprised Granada Reports hasn’t mentioned it - Tyne Tees news has reported the deaths of past announcers such as Neville Wanless and Kathy Secker, though the latter was still actively working on local radio.

I knew of Charles from his VOs on programmes like Connections, Crown Court, and a few Granada-produced schools programmes, but it was only on moving to the North West in the early 90s that I realised he was a household name in Granadaland.

Charles is survived by his wife, actress Meg Johnson, who some of us may remember from soaps like Coronation Street, Emmerdale and Brookside.

THE NEXT POST FOLLOWS SHORTLY…
[-] The following 2 users Like Si-Co's post:
  • DE88, Stockland Hillman

He didn't look that young in those screengrabs from 30+ years ago, must have made a good age?

I grew up watching Charles Foster, along with Jim Pope and Colin Weston. Absolute legends, all three of them. As a child I assumed that was just how good all continuity announcers were! It was only later I realised that they were almost in a class of their own.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scrotnig's post:
  • Ben Shatliff, DE88

(24-02-2023, 09:47 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  He didn't look that young in those screengrabs from 30+ years ago, must have made a good age?

According to this page, he was born in 1936, making him either 86 or 87.

I grew up watching/seeing him on Granada as a child/teenager. I thought he was like a grandfather age then.  He did well to carry on working to such a good age.

www.mirror.co.uk 

Something a bit more official, although stretching the definition of breaking news somewhat

Did Charles announce Catchphrase at one stage? I’m sure I recall Roy saying “what are the prizes, Charles?” at some point.

(28-02-2023, 03:09 AM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  Did Charles announce Catchphrase at one stage? I’m sure I recall Roy saying “what are the prizes, Charles?” at some point.

He did indeed. IIRC he preceded Ted Robbins.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Larry the Loafer's post:
  • DE88

It’s been reported Charles’s wife Meg Johnson has since passed away this weekend.

twitter.com