Pages from ceefax music choice

I have to throw my hat in and say Sweet mood and the delights of Jerzy Milian.

Excuse my ignorance here, but what type of machines and “tapes” would have been used by the TV companies around the 1980s era to play testcard, interval (eg ITV Schools, Channel 4 break fillers) and breakdown music. The tracks and tapes themselves have often been referred to but I’ve no idea how they were played to air. I’ve seen examples of tracks played directly from LP, which would work during a short breakdown, but what about during longer junctions and trade test transmissions?

THE NEXT POST FOLLOWS SHORTLY…

One of the posts in this thread said they were quarter inch tapes, which would be a pretty standard reel to reel format used across all industries.

I know I was talking about the music accompanying the Test Card F rather than the music played alongside Ceefax, but having spoken to my wife again she confirms there was only one quarter inch tape machine. This would reinforce why they had to keep within the one minute max ‘rule’ when changing tapes, this has also been confirmed to me by another ex-BBC POA of the same era. She left the BBC in 1984.

All the ITV Pres control areas I was involved in had a single quarter inch tape deck, a professional EMT turntable and Sonifex audio cart machines. I moved away from that ‘sort of thing’ in the early 90’s so I don’t know what followed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bluecortina's post:
  • Si-Co

Funnily enough speaking of Techmoan... Guess what he just posted

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes TIGHazard's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(01-07-2023, 11:33 AM)TIGHazard Wrote:  Funnily enough speaking of Techmoan... Guess what he just posted

www.youtube.com 

The full contents of the tape (both sides) can be listened to here:

youtu.be 
[-] The following 2 users Like Dadeki's post:
  • Roger Darthwell, TIGHazard