Remembering BBC News 24/BBC News Channel 1997-2023

Thought it would be nice to post a few memories of News 24/BBC News Channel.

I remember this time the fondest. Yes, the graphics were very blocky and a bit over the top - but they animated nicely...

youtu.be 

The best bit of that clip is the headline 'HIP' about a hip operation! Yes, just 'HIP'!!!  Big Grin

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moz's post:
  • News76

Simon McCoy and the infamous pack of paper is a fond memory for me

youtu.be 
[-] The following 4 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • bakamann, Former Member 406, interestednovice, Plutobug

(24-02-2023, 07:37 PM)Moz Wrote:  I remember this time the fondest. Yes, the graphics were very blocky and a bit over the top - but they animated nicely...
There is something very definitive about that era - possibly because it was when the channel really came into its own. Even though it was really before I started regularly watching the channel, if you ask me to picture BBC News 24/BBC News channel, that's what I see.
[-] The following 3 users Like DTV's post:
  • Moz, News76, Rolling News

I've a few memories of the News Channel to share with you.

First, that famous Guy Goma interview from 2006:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aLKEwVRm78

And that time the news broke like crazy in 2017 - leading to silence for almost 4 minutes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvcrt2OcvUQ
[-] The following 3 users Like TVenthusiasm's post:
  • Ant, interestednovice, oscillon

Being mesmerised by the flags when I'd be getting up early for my paperound (earlier than I needed to so I'd catch the end of the overnight similcast and start of The Big Breakfast!) youtu.be 
[-] The following 6 users Like PWD's post:
  • DE88, fanoftv, harshy, interestednovice, Josh, watchingtv

(24-02-2023, 07:37 PM)Moz Wrote:  Thought it would be nice to post a few memories of News 24/BBC News Channel.

I remember this time the fondest. Yes, the graphics were very blocky and a bit over the top - but they animated nicely...

youtu.be 

The best bit of that clip is the headline 'HIP' about a hip operation! Yes, just 'HIP'!!!  Big Grin

This is when I started watching N24, around 2005. 
Simon & Kate did a 4 hour morning shift back then, 09:00 - 13:00, with only a break at 09:30 for around 20-25 minutes from BBC World News.

The entire day was double headed until 22:30 when Peter Dobbie took over until 01:00, then we had Martine C, Karin G or Alistair Yates on overnights.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Radio_man's post:
  • interestednovice

I also became a viewer in the mid 2000s. Struggling to believe this time next week and the channel will be all but television history.

I too adored the 2005 graphics, but these ones were incredibly underrated. Crazy they only lasted for 15 months:

m.youtube.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • Ant, interestednovice

(24-02-2023, 08:56 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  I also became a viewer in the mid 2000s. Struggling to believe this time next week and the channel will be all but television history.

I too adored the 2005 graphics, but these ones were incredibly underrated. Crazy they only lasted for 15 months:

m.youtube.com 

That was the one era where news 24 was better then World it was at the same point n9 started to look boring and frosty.

These graphics are ones I remember too - the red bar across the top.

It used to go all the way across when it was a story title or Breaking News, but just up to the clock if it was a name/title.

On this video from overnight it seemed to animate unless during The World Today when it just faded on and off.

youtu.be 

Here's another one with the red bar right across...

youtu.be 

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moz's post:
  • interestednovice

Highlights:
The often haunting long montage when coming up to the hour during joint services with World, exampled here with the Iraq war in 2003 on The World Today, but also seen in the aftermath of 9/11 and the Afghanistan war.

youtu.be 

Alistair Yates starting every bulletin with "And this is BBC News 24"

The plethora of countdowns with the best being the graphical form 1999-2002.

The twentieth anniversary recreation of the original flags graphics and theme leading in to the 6pm news.

This was the first studio I saw and always thought was the best. Such beautiful lighting, design and depth.

www.gettyimages.co.uk 

Beautifully recreated by DTV

tvforum.uk 

Lowlights:
The awful graphics and washed out screens that came in the Dec 2003 relaunch.

The grinding overhead camera known as 'trundle cam' of that same era.
[-] The following 4 users Like msim's post:
  • harshy, interestednovice, Stuart, watchingtv