Remembering BBC News 24/BBC News Channel 1997-2023

(04-03-2023, 03:00 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  
(04-03-2023, 11:58 AM)harshy Wrote:  It was clever but it seemed to be very jittery on screen, I think they had another go replacing with the red globe which improved the jitteriness but I might be wrong, of course I wasn’t amused when it became BBC World from BBC News but let’s not go there again ha.
I am sure that I have read it somewhere that those titles were created live each time which was why they had that jitter to them when compared to the national titles.
Remember the period when it spun out of control? Some sort of software glitch so I recall.

I think I have a video of that somewhere - I’ll have to dig it out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chris's post:
  • damian

(05-03-2023, 01:14 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  
(01-03-2023, 08:09 PM)Kojak Wrote:  World had some double-headed slots as well at that time. There is a clip somewhere of Anita McNaught and Mike Embley presenting (I think) The World Today. When a guest came in the studio, they sat in between the two presenters. Looked very awkward.

I see what you mean

www.youtube.com 

I still think this is the BEST piece of music David Lowe ever did for BBC. It never fails to give me goosebumps, especially incorporated with those Iraq war images.
[-] The following 6 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • bkman1990, Jeff, Kojak, msim, Newsroom, Rolling News

(05-03-2023, 01:37 PM)chris Wrote:  
(04-03-2023, 03:00 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  I am sure that I have read it somewhere that those titles were created live each time which was why they had that jitter to them when compared to the national titles.
Remember the period when it spun out of control? Some sort of software glitch so I recall.

I think I have a video of that somewhere - I’ll have to dig it out.
I can’t remember that. Would love to see it! I can remember it would sometimes look like it had  got stuck and then judder after the expanding rings. I also liked the music was different to the national although 2007/8 took some beating

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 

Who remembers the filler show 'Your News' presented by Louise Minchin?

Pretty sure it eventually morphed into what became Newswatch.

Talking of fillers, how about TVF favourite STORYFix? I think I still have a few downloaded somewhere, albeit at clickwheel iPod screen resolution.
[-] The following 5 users Like thegeek's post:
  • interestednovice, Kojak, negredo, PWD, Scratch_Perry

Some others I remember from around the year 2000:

Europe Direct
7 Days
Agenda
Gate 24 (News 24's version of BBC World's "Fast Track")
Euro Brief (ISTR it was one of those weekend afternoon fillers presented by David Jessel. Had titles that included ribbons and acrobats as I recall)
Straight Talk (presented by Nick Robinson)
Head to Head (seem to recall it was an interview programme, maybe presented by Andrew Neil? Remember it was in a very, very dark studio)

Reporters ran for a few years, didn’t it? It even had its own DOG:

[Image: bbcnews24_dogs4.jpg]

(Picture from 625: Andrew Wiseman's Television Room)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kojak's post:
  • interestednovice

(05-03-2023, 07:28 PM)Kojak Wrote:  Reporters ran for a few years, didn’t it? It even had its own DOG.

It did. Reporters was produced by BBC World but shown on News 24 as a filler. It always had similar branding to "This Week" which was BBC World's review of news stories from the past week, much the same as News 24's "7 Days".
[-] The following 1 user Likes itsrobert's post:
  • interestednovice

(05-03-2023, 07:35 PM)itsrobert Wrote:  
(05-03-2023, 07:28 PM)Kojak Wrote:  Reporters ran for a few years, didn’t it? It even had its own DOG.

It did. Reporters was produced by BBC World but shown on News 24 as a filler. It always had similar branding to "This Week" which was BBC World's review of news stories from the past week, much the same as News 24's "7 Days".

Reporters is still airing on BBC World News but at very random times... For example Reporters was on last weekend after it went on like a 5 month hiatus since Oct 2022. The next edition of Reporters is not listed yet.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ALV's post:
  • interestednovice

(05-03-2023, 07:16 PM)itsrobert Wrote:  Some others I remember from around the year 2000:

Europe Direct
7 Days
Agenda
Gate 24 (News 24's version of BBC World's "Fast Track")
Euro Brief (ISTR it was one of those weekend afternoon fillers presented by David Jessel. Had titles that included ribbons and acrobats as I recall)
Straight Talk (presented by Nick Robinson)
Head to Head (seem to recall it was an interview programme, maybe presented by Andrew Neil? Remember it was in a very, very dark studio)
Europe Direct was, of course, two different programmes - the first was a daily evening news programme that was shown on News 24 and World from 1997 to April 2000; the second was a weekend pre-record that aired on rotation with other ... Direct programmes - by mid-2003, the rotation included Africa Direct, Arab World Direct, Australia Direct, Europe Direct and Simpson's World (which appeared twice in the rotation). Oddly, the second version did reuse the earlier programme's branding, but the Direct programmes were all phased out in 2004 (though the ...Direct brand was later recycled by BBC World News for seasons of weekend programming).

There have been several politics programmes with similar names - one version of Straight Talk was an 'informal' look back at the week in Westminster with guests, presented by News 24's Chief Political Correspondent (Edwards -> Robinson -> Harri); a later programme also called Straight Talk was a one-on-one interview programme hosted by Andrew Neil in a dark studio; One to One was a similar earlier programme hosted by Robinson and then Harri; Head 2 Head was a topical debate show with two guests from opposite sides that was hosted at one point by Polly Toynbee.

Weekend filler shows were at their most peculiar during the early-flags era, when they included Food Watch (food and consumer affairs), Newsround 24 (a compilation of the week's Newsround) and Chronicles (based on the BBC News archive). Weekend afternoons/evenings in the early years also had Scoreline and extra Sportsdays rather than back-half fillers - perhaps might be worth bringing back.
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • interestednovice, itsrobert