What Trends in Idents do you want to see come back or go away?

(27-02-2023, 05:11 PM)strollfan Wrote:  
(27-02-2023, 04:49 PM)Kojak Wrote:  And it still looks great, 41 years later.

It looks great in the knowledge it's something from 1982. If that exact ident was revealed today, without the history it holds, it would be panned. It's a relic of a bygone era - great to wheel out for anniversaries and nostalgic reasons, but it isn't fit for a modern purpose.

I don't think it should necessarily be revived wholesale - but I wouldn't mind seeing some modern variations on that ident. You'd definitely want to change up the colour scheme and modernise Fourscore, though.

The trend I wish which would come back is having a focal point to an actual ident IE a logo or something to latch onto.  Most of the main channels just don't have this, BBC 2 does and there masterpiece. CH4 did so for for donkey years including 2004-2014 and again there were great.

You have to start digging down Freeview channels to find some pretty decent presentation, but again most of the great pres has a proper focal point.

Current BBC One / ITV package doesn't. its just dogs dinner changing sense every second and filled with people doing stuff which doesn't fully represent what the channel even stands for or represents.

With BBC1, its a lenses on the world but its a flawed as window to the world concept on BBC 2 back in 2007, unless its saying the world today is bland boring and crap?  Dancers on BBC 1 back in 2002, tried to make a point by saying look its BBC1 and we have Varity - strangely they never did have Country and western ident.

ITV 2002 idents were filled with Celebs, So in your face, come up next its harry hill, with Harry hill ident, there seem to die a death within a year and new batch had to be made.  Mind you STV come up with some artistic concept which included the celebs not looking at the cameras and having cleaners in the background..

When ITV merged it lost something and never regained it, a logo..  Every company had it and it stood out.  IF ITV could find a logo I think the pres would be transformed over night.
[-] The following 2 users Like Milkshake's post:
  • Rijowhi, Si-Co

I was always a big fan of the classic early 90s style of reflective glass logos slowly flying through space, sometimes being orbited by other big shiny graphical elements - typical of design studios like Novocom from that decade. The early Sky towers remain iconic in my memory, before everything went flat and 2D.

Admin edit: some of the original YT clips featured in this post have been removed as they've been websnatched from TV Ark.

www.youtube.com 

Something quite retrofuturistic about them, a bit art deco-inspired. I really enjoyed them. The bombastic music was also great fun.
logos.fandom.com 

I wouldn't mind some of these more entertaining idents reappear Smile

hi mum!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mort's post:
  • Stuart

(06-03-2023, 05:51 PM)Mort Wrote:  I was always a big fan of the classic early 90s style of reflective glass logos slowly flying through space, sometimes being orbited by other big shiny graphical elements - typical of design studios like Novocom from that decade. The early Sky towers remain iconic in my memory, before everything went flat and 2D.
I feel the same. It was certainly a golden era of pres. There were so many new channels emerging and CGI was becoming more capable.

Then, for no reason at all, broadcasters suddenly thought that some 'Art College Video Project' of someone having a cuppa or walking down the street (with a logo slapped on top) was OK. It never was! Angry

It just came across as cheap and uninspired. It was worse than going back to the BBC One rotating globe model, or the static silent piece of cardboard I grew up seeing on Granada. Confused
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • Rijowhi