What Trends in Idents do you want to see come back or go away?

Design in any field is no more immune from change than the latest trend in fashion, or online social media challenge. That's good, because you want to see the world around us being in touch with how people think or feel today. Television presentation is no different.

Today's idents, at least on 3 of the main channels, all follow the same basic vogue. Deconstructing the longstanding live action tableau with the television logo interacting with the environment. BBC 2 and Channel 4 deconstructing the symbol to components, like a curve or a metallic man made in blocks. Are we due for the next big thing?

Changing viewing habits mean that idents, and linear television as a whole, are evolving beyond the screen in the living room. Idents might just become a 5 second blipverts, ala ITV in the 70s. 

With that being said, what do you want to see in television presentation? Personally, I want an iconic symbol in the centre of the screen.

[Image: blu97.png]

I would love to see more jingles and music motifs in idents. C4 is the only of the 5 main networks that use one (Fourscore) and that might even go soon with the rebrand soon.

BBC One last used one in their Circle idents until 2016 and ITV in their colour-picking idents until 2019.
[-] The following 4 users Like Hybrid's post:
  • fanoftv, Kunst, Rexogamer, Spencer

Less 'real life footage with a logo slapped over it' style idents.
[-] The following 6 users Like rick's post:
  • Brekkie, chevron, JAS84, orange, Rijowhi, Si-Co

(27-02-2023, 10:50 AM)rick Wrote:  Less 'real life footage with a logo slapped over it' style idents.

There isn't much of it these days, its heydays were in the mid-noughties

I seem to be in the minority who really enjoy Channel 4's stopgap (?) ident with the colourful backgrounds. Incredibly simple, but it's versatile, easy on the eye, a pleasure to listen to.

Signature jingles, too. They seem to have vanished.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Larry the Loafer's post:
  • fanoftv

(27-02-2023, 01:07 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  I seem to be in the minority who really enjoy Channel 4's stopgap (?) ident with the colourful backgrounds. Incredibly simple, but it's versatile, easy on the eye, a pleasure to listen to.

Reminds me of the similar Channel 5 idents with the coloured backgrounds that ran for much of 2002 (before the atrocious ‘five’ rebrand). Very simple but very pleasant. Should have run for much, much longer than they did.

www.tvwhirl.co.uk 

(27-02-2023, 01:07 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  I seem to be in the minority who really enjoy Channel 4's stopgap (?) ident with the colourful backgrounds. Incredibly simple, but it's versatile, easy on the eye, a pleasure to listen to.

I think if they had more variants of it (just simply different colour combinations) it would work better, but for me where it fails is the animation of the 4 logo itself looks very cheap.

I'd love to see a new incarnation of the original logos, perhaps in real world locations, with a concept similar to the brilliant SF1 idents of a few years back.

www.youtube.com 

Most of all a bit more ambition in the idents - although I don't think ITV's latest set quite hits the mark it is at least a bit more ambitious than it first appears, both in the design and in the concept.   The BBC2 curves are still the best of the bunch in recent years and show how functional doesn't have to be boring (hello C5!)

(27-02-2023, 02:28 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  

I think if they had more variants of it (just simply different colour combinations) it would work better, but for me where it fails is the animation of the 4 logo itself looks very cheap.

I'd love to see a new incarnation of the original logos, perhaps in real world locations, with a concept similar to the brilliant SF1 idents of a few years back.

www.youtube.com 

Most of all a bit more ambition in the idents - although I don't think ITV's latest set quite hits the mark it is at least a bit more ambitious than it first appears, both in the design and in the concept.   The BBC2 curves are still the best of the bunch in recent years and show how functional doesn't have to be boring (hello C5!)

I actually think they'd do well to just more or less bring back the original idents. Obviously they'd have to be updated (maybe different colour backgrounds and/or combinations of the blocks, and a more modern version of Fourscore) but even so, I think returning to a version of the original idents would be a much needed return to basics, garner a lot of goodwill, and - especially after last year's aborted privatisation debacle - remind people 'we are Channel 4, and this is who we are'. 

That being said, I think the secondary idents from 2015 as used for the likes of 4 News and The Simpsons were a missed opportunity. That idea was so versatile - they could have made dozens of idents with that idea, which could have run for years. They could, and should, have been the next '2' idents.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kojak's post:
  • benzj, Brekkie

(27-02-2023, 02:28 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Most of all a bit more ambition in the idents - although I don't think ITV's latest set quite hits the mark it is at least a bit more ambitious than it first appears, both in the design and in the concept.   The BBC2 curves are still the best of the bunch in recent years and show how functional doesn't have to be boring (hello C5!)
Huge agree on this - I would rather have some ambitious failures than a load of colour-by-numbers, CGI idents which just involve an animation of the logo.

(27-02-2023, 01:07 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  I seem to be in the minority who really enjoy Channel 4's stopgap (?) ident with the colourful backgrounds. Incredibly simple, but it's versatile, easy on the eye, a pleasure to listen to.

I agree with you there, it has a very modern but calming sound design and manages to still fit well among various types of programmes.