Red Nose Day

(26-03-2023, 11:51 AM)Scrotnig Wrote:  
(26-03-2023, 11:46 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  How many presenters do the BBC have left who could hold down a show of that nature without heavily relying on autocue?  We don't have the training grounds of the Big Breakfast or Saturday morning kids TV these days.

I suspect some of the existing ones could, were they allowed to.

I’m not saying entirely unscripted of course, it was never that.

I'm surprised really Michael McIntyre isn't more involved in Red Nose Day. I reckon he'd be one that could handle going off script as seen recently on the Big Show when technology failed during the Send To All section. He still managed to laugh it off and keep the audience entertained whilst it was being sorted, and that whole section could have been edited out, but it was kept in.

Like others have said both CIN and Comic Relief seem to be very rigid in format these days, there's no spontaneity that anything could happen at a moment's notice. It also feels tired with the same things being repeated each year in CIN's case the rickshaw ride and the children's choir. Both need freshening up, and I would look to do something along the lines of Saturday Night Takeaway as starting point of a balance between fun studio and film elements.

1999 will always be the one that stands out for me in terms of Comic Relief, as it seemed such a massive event with the Boyzone song, Doctor Who sketch, and an afternoon of CBBC all hyping up to the main event.
[-] The following 2 users Like sjames's post:
  • DE88, JMT1985

(27-03-2023, 12:46 AM)sjames Wrote:  
(26-03-2023, 11:51 AM)Scrotnig Wrote:  I suspect some of the existing ones could, were they allowed to.

I'm surprised really Michael McIntyre isn't more involved in Red Nose Day. I reckon he'd be one that could handle going off script as seen recently on the Big Show when technology failed during the Send To All section. He still managed to laugh it off and keep the audience entertained whilst it was being sorted, and that whole section could have been edited out, but it was kept in.
I imagine that like many comedians Friday nights most weeks are pre-booked with gigs, same as Saturday nights. I seem to recall Jimmy Carr citing it as the reason why he's recorded many of his TV programmes in the past on a Thursdays.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

(27-03-2023, 12:16 AM)Newshound47 Wrote:  
(25-03-2023, 09:34 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Though the "presenters" were usually paired up with the comedians, and it was the younger funnier presenters getting the gig.  

And the show wasn't presenters just presenting - they were very much put out of their comfort zones too.

As for what to do today - if the Big Night of Musicals can be packed with back to back musical performances then no reason why Comic Relief can't be packed with back to back comedy performances.
I suspect the last thing Comic Relief would want is a joke to be controversial enough to cause a controversy and three hours of comedy would be a lot to fill baring in mind a lot of current comedy is political or other sensitive issues based.
They've not been afraid of controversy in the past - there is usually something that triggers those who seek to be triggered.

(27-03-2023, 12:46 AM)sjames Wrote:  
(26-03-2023, 11:51 AM)Scrotnig Wrote:  I suspect some of the existing ones could, were they allowed to.

Yes, not sure if he has ever done it. They've also had Mo Gilligan and Romesh Ranganathan hosting Saturday night formats lately, Rob Beckett has a weekly radio show, Katherine Ryan has hosted a few BBC formats, Sara Pascoe and Joe Lycett have hosted BBC formats, and most have done Live from the Apollo at some point. The talent is there if they ask them.

Yes, comedians have gigs at the weekend but they did in the 90s too - it's just they knew to keep that one weekend clear.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • DE88

McIntyre wouldn't do Comic Relief, it would mean using material that could be used on tour.

Comic Relief being prewatershed means a lot of comedians couldn't do it, Romesh's stand up for example is very sweary.

(28-03-2023, 09:50 PM)XIII Wrote:  McIntyre wouldn't do Comic Relief, it would mean using material that could be used on tour.
I don’t understand this, he does loads of TV already? No one is suggesting Michael McIntyre would do a one hour stand up set. He’d be in presenting mode with a few jokes thrown in and probably some similar features to the Big Show. 

Unless you’re suggesting he won’t perform for no fee?

Again, Romesh doesn’t swear on the Weakest Link, does he? Any comedian with a high enough profile would be able to adjust their act for the programme they’re appearing on.

Not sure you’ve ever watched any non-recent Comic Reliefs if you think comedians just did their stand up sets.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • Brekkie

(28-03-2023, 09:59 PM)Jon Wrote:  
(28-03-2023, 09:50 PM)XIII Wrote:  McIntyre wouldn't do Comic Relief, it would mean using material that could be used on tour.
I don’t understand this, he does loads of TV already? No one is suggesting Michael McIntyre would do a one hour stand up set. He’d be in presenting mode with a few jokes thrown in and probably some similar features to the Big Show. 

Unless you’re suggesting he won’t perform for no fee?

Again, Romesh doesn’t swear on the Weakest Link, does he? Any comedian with a high enough profile would be able to adjust their act for the programme they’re appearing on.

Not sure you’ve ever watched any non-recent Comic Reliefs if you think comedians just did their stand up sets.
This was the same argument made against Graham Norton when he moved from Channel 4 to the BBC, many felt he couldn't change his act for a family audience on the BBC - well he did, and did it perfectly

To be fair though Graham went through several flop formats when he first arrived at the BBC and his chat show was tweaked several times before it basically reverted to a format more like his C4 show. But that's the thing - presenters adapt. You only have to see the stories about Paul O'Grady today to see how different an act can be pre-watershed on TV to doing their own thing in the clubs.