When will we see HD dropped from channel names?

For me, Regional BBC One finally going HD does seem to be the end of the very long road for HD adoption. It symbolises that HD is finally the standard broadcasting definition for the majority of people. It does beg the question, with the eventual plan to shut down BBC One in standard definition, how long will it take other broadcasters to take initiative, and shut down their SD services? For me, it should be quite a quick turnaround, but progress is always delayed for one reason or another.

[Image: blu97.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blubatt's post:
  • interestednovice

Well, just recently Channel 4 have slowly axed the "HD" bug next to their on-screen logo. Plus, Sky's channels have done away with advertising as "Sky [CHANNEL] HD" years before anyone really did, as the introduction of Sky Q came into play. However, I still think there are plenty of channels still broadcasting in SD, and we're a long way away from those upgrading to HD.

I attribute it down to limited Freeview space and a harshly scarce (if not, slowly growing) adoption of internet-based TV, since with the latter, you're able to broadcast a 1080p signal quite cheaply through servers, as opposed to chunky old transmitters. But more and more of the UK's internet infrastructure has to be upgraded before we're even able to receive a basic 1080p signal, let alone 4K.
[-] The following 3 users Like Allanbuzzy's post:
  • benzj, interestednovice, SunburntRock89

If HD is the standard, maybe the standard definition channels should suffix SD. UHD channels are usually appropriately named.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cable's post:
  • interestednovice

(06-03-2023, 10:43 PM)cable Wrote:  If HD is the standard, maybe the standard definition channels should suffix SD. UHD channels are usually appropriately named.
That is indeed the case in Estonia:

twitter.com 
[-] The following 4 users Like Kojak's post:
  • chaose, Former Member 406, interestednovice, Ma76

The HD tag only ever appears in the EPG title for most channels on that format.  The two main BBC channels don't have DOGs, so there was nothing to change and they stopped using the 'HD diamond' or even mentioning it in promos many years ago. On the Nightlight service, BBC One list regional programmes as 'This is BBC One SD' together with the new RSOD, so perhaps they're leading the way.

ITV1 reduced their +1 SD services some time ago, but probably retain the main SD ones for advertising purposes, much the way as C4/C5 do.

Sky haven't mentioned HD for many years in their promos, but have it in their EPG channel names. They have offered free upgrades to people viewing on SD STBs, but some people probably don't realise that they can watch HD channels on an SD set if they have a SCART socket (probably previously used for a VHS or DVD player). Obviously in those circumstances they wouldn't have an HDMI input or see anything other than SD quality.

It took a while for broadcasters to stop mentioning 'COLOUR' back in the day, so I guess that not harping on about HD has been quite a rapid progression.

Many channels will never upgrade to HD broadcasts, so the necessity to maintain the differential with SD channels will remain for some time.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:
  • interestednovice, Ma76

(06-03-2023, 10:43 PM)cable Wrote:  If HD is the standard, maybe the standard definition channels should suffix SD. UHD channels are usually appropriately named.

I wonder how familiar the general public are with the term SD, as you don't see it used in many places. Up until now, any suffix on a channel name has indicated there's something special about it, over and above those without. If a load of channels are suddenly labelled 'SD' I could see some people thinking they're in 'Super Definition' or something like that. Wink

It would be quite nice to lose the HD suffix from the EPGs though, because, as we've seen with the BBC One regional HD rollout, you do end up with some rather garbled channel names in order to fit in an extra two or three characters.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spencer's post:
  • DavidV

(07-03-2023, 05:32 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I wonder how familiar the general public are with the term SD, as you don't see it used in many places. (...) If a load of channels are suddenly labelled 'SD' I could see some people thinking they're in 'Super Definition' or something like that. Wink

Maybe we should start calling it LD for Low Definition. Big Grin Since HD is now the standard there's no point in calling anything else 'Standard Definition', really.
[-] The following 6 users Like chaose's post:
  • bkman1990, Former Member 406, interestednovice, Ma76, Spencer, Stuart

(07-03-2023, 05:39 PM)chaose Wrote:  Maybe we should start calling it LD for Low Definition. Big Grin Since HD is now the standard there's no point in calling anything else 'Standard Definition', really.
It's rather funny, because when 405 line B&W TV was launched in 1936 it was referred to as 'High Definition'. Tongue

I suppose it was HD in comparison to what previously existed.
[-] The following 3 users Like Stuart's post:
  • Former Member 406, interestednovice, Ma76

(07-03-2023, 03:12 PM)Stuart Wrote:  The HD tag only ever appears in the EPG title for most channels on that format.  The two main BBC channels don't have DOGs, so there was nothing to change and they stopped using the 'HD diamond' or even mentioning it in promos many years ago. On the Nightlight service, BBC One list regional programmes as 'This is BBC One SD' together with the new RSOD, so perhaps they're leading the way.

ITV1 reduced their +1 SD services some time ago, but probably retain the main SD ones for advertising purposes, much the way as C4/C5 do.

Sky haven't mentioned HD for many years in their promos, but have it in their EPG channel names. They have offered free upgrades to people viewing on SD STBs, but some people probably don't realise that they can watch HD channels on an SD set if they have a SCART socket (probably previously used for a VHS or DVD player). Obviously in those circumstances they wouldn't have an HDMI input or see anything other than SD quality.

It took a while for broadcasters to stop mentioning 'COLOUR' back in the day, so I guess that not harping on about HD has been quite a rapid progression.

Many channels will never upgrade to HD broadcasts, so the necessity to maintain the differential with SD channels will remain for some time.

Back in the day we referred to 'that' last caption or slide on a programme as the 'Colour Prod' or 'Colour Pres'. I've never gotten out of the habit and when my wife and I are discussing the closing of some programme or other I still refer to it in those terms even thought it's long gone as you refer.  

Maybe that's why I sometimes don't quite understand some of the shortcut terms used by the younger posters here! (Not a criticism of anyone here).
[-] The following 2 users Like Bluecortina's post:
  • interestednovice, Stuart

For people that work in the industry especially, it’s probably the case that various acronyms come as second nature, so they don’t even realise they are using them, as they are what they would naturally refer to things as - just as you’ve explained!

Equally, you probably almost never hear or read people spelling out the acronyms, so they almost take on definitions of their own as simply “new words” from a technical perspective. It’s easy to forget it’s even an acronym at all in this case. DTT or DSAT are probably good examples of that sort of thing.