Mystic Meg: Astrologer dies aged 80

TV astrologer Margaret Lake, better known as Mystic Meg, has died aged 80.

She was a well-known TV figure in the 1990s, appearing on the National Lottery, and has written horoscopes for the Sun for more than two decades.

According to the newspaper, Lake died in the early hours of Thursday morning after being admitted to hospital last month after suffering from flu.

www.bbc.co.uk 

And here's the time in 1996 when the Lottery broke down, which lead to the obvious joke of Mystic Meg "predicting" the breakdown:
www.youtube.com 

But of course Mystic Meg was wonderfully sent up by Brian Conley:
www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 5 users Like Neil Jones's post:
  • bkman1990, DE88, fanoftv, Juicy Joe, Larry the Loafer

Bet she didn't see that coming (sorry, someone had to say it)

Still, sad news. I wouldn't have thought she was 80.

Honestly, I thought she’d died long ago (and I can’t be the only one). I’m sorry to hear she’s gone.

That National Lottery breakdown just goes to show how much of a much missed talent Bob Monkhouse was.

To pretty much make up a mini show on the fly with comedic content getting Mystic Meg involved saying that she had been predicting this is genius. Even more genius considering he spent most of Casualty entertaining the studio audience and probably only a few minutes deciding on a skit for when they go back on air.

Mystic Meg herself had a great mystical presence perfect for television with her eerie pronunciations and striking dress sense, whereas also willing to take the mick out of herself. But if you were to believe The Sun newspaper, you'd have thought she hadn't changed her appearance at all in the last 30 years. She will be missed.

youtu.be 

youtu.be 
[-] The following 3 users Like RDJ's post:
  • bkman1990, DE88, sjhoward

(09-03-2023, 05:38 PM)RDJ Wrote:  That National Lottery breakdown just goes to show how much of a much missed talent Bob Monkhouse was.

To pretty much make up a mini show on the fly with comedic content getting Mystic Meg involved saying that she had been predicting this is genius. Even more genius considering he spent most of Casualty entertaining the studio audience and probably only a few minutes deciding on a skit for when they go back on air.

You probably already know this but for anybody else:

Our old mate, buddy, pal Larry the Loafer <pause for applause> uploaded this clip from a UKTV Gold Documentary on Bob Monkhouse a few years ago which has a bit more on the Lottery breakdown and some gallery talkback!:
www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • Larry the Loafer

I wonder what The Sun will do? Meg's horoscopes are still in today's paper. Will they have to drop the horoscopes until they get a replacement, or is there a stockpile?

I'm sure that article underestimated how long she's been doing it too - the BBC says she was in The Sun for over two decades, but surely it's more than 30 years? She wasn't a newbie when she appeared on the Lottery and I can't remember The Sun ever having a different astrologer - I'd guess she'd been there since the late 80s.

I think she was with the News of the World before joining the sister title.