1990 Thames Local ident

The fourth clip almost certainly sounds like the version they used for the Thames Video ident from 1991, which stayed in place well until the late 1990s.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nwtv2003's post:
  • DE88

(28-03-2023, 08:51 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  So that mens surly all 4 versions were made at same time and used for certain shows.

That bit I don't know - but I do know there were 4 variations of the ident plus a 30 second version, a 60 second version and a 3minute 45 second version of the ident track.

Plus 2 news titles, one with a vamp, one without, and 2 versions with added reverb, a 60 second version of the Thames News theme, 3 stings, a trailer and closing titles and 2 weather jingles.

All recorded on the same day, or at least sent to Thames on the same day - I assume to give creatives flexibility in what they used and when, all based around the same jingle (I actually prefer the melody from this to the classic 'Salute to Thames'). I don't think it was particularly linked to the loss of the franchise, more a coincidence - these tracks are dated June 1990 and were part of a wider rebrand of Thames TV as a company. I would suggest there were about 4/5 idents in circulation but viewers didn't necessarily pick up on the subtle variations, and lossy VHS recordings don't quite make out the differences.

Not surprising many people never notice subtle variations, How often would the idents actultly get played out? 5-10 times a week at most?

It's rather odd that Thames made this package with the slides, promo etc in Summer 1990 yet they just parked it up for over a year bar the ident, and kept on using "ITV" 1989 package.

Maybe they were already making it when the 1989 package launched, so they just kept it in reserve (and edited the generic package to include the new logo), then rolled it out once they heard they'd lost their franchise.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JAS84's post:
  • DE88

I think you're close to the money, the 21st anniversary logo from 1989 is clearly the inspiration or offspring of the wider rebrand, the differences being a 'Thames' wordmark vs a stylised river Thames.

I'd suggest there was a wider rebrand about to occur and the ITV corporate style came out, which they used for a bit - they probably did double down once they'd found out they'd lost their franchise but it wasn't a case of getting on screen elements and music redone - different tracks probably used to add variety seeing as their only symbol was the same ident each time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mike's post:
  • Transmission

(28-03-2023, 10:30 PM)Mike Wrote:  I think you're close to the money, the 21st anniversary logo from 1989 is clearly the inspiration or offspring of the wider rebrand, the differences being a 'Thames' wordmark vs a stylised river Thames.

I'd suggest there was a wider rebrand about to occur and the ITV corporate style came out, which they used for a bit - they probably did double down once they'd found out they'd lost their franchise but it wasn't a case of getting on screen elements and music redone - different tracks probably used to add variety seeing as their only symbol was the same ident each time.
The main difference between the 21st logo and the one introduced in 1990 was the change from orange triangle to blue. It was part of a much wider company rebrand, presumably in  preperation for the license bid and the new decade 

I once saw a tape in their VT area in the mid 90s labelled something along the lines of  'ice cream cone logo'. Whether that was just the orange logo or the nickname continued onto the blue one too I don't know

For a moment I thought the Thames jingle used in this clip was the third of the four jingles uploaded by Mike on page 1 of this thread. However, the beginning in particular seems subtly different. Perhaps this is a seasonal variation - it does sound vaguely Christmassy - but it’s definitely not the fourth “Christmas” jingle Mike shared…

About 30 seconds in:

youtu.be 
Credit - Assorted Videos

THE NEXT POST FOLLOWS SHORTLY…

Interesting variation, and there was certainly separate Christmas ones produced, some were edits of the pre recorded tracks, but the 4 original ones were recorded on the original session, with their intended uses listed on the notes.

Of course a lot of the anciliary tracks could be cut and mixed to make an on brand jingle locally