Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy

twitter.com 

Can’t see it leading to him being sacked but the BBC do have good replacements available (Both internally and externally) if he did depart.

Looks like Lineker is going to continue speaking out regardless of what the BBC says. I wonder if this will ultimately cause a rift between him and the Corporation?

twitter.com 

twitter.com 

(08-03-2023, 01:56 PM)Dadeki Wrote:  Looks like Linekar is going to continue speaking out regardless of what the BBC says. I wonder if this will ultimately cause a rift between him and the Corporation?

twitter.com 
twitter.com 

More likely is they might simply decide not renew after his current contract expires. Through they might get rid soon (Through they will be just as much debate about his replacement on various issues)

Impartiality also means to voices critical of government. I doubt the BBC would have been speaking to him today if he had come out in support of the plans - and there is the real problem. They've fallen into a trap, or indeed been part of the trap, which has put Lineker at the centre of a story that is nothing to do with him when they should be analysing the content of the bill and the numerous charities and international organisations speaking out about why it is illegal.

Re: Today at Wimbledon. That article doesn't actually go on to say much more but I think it was inevitable given the switch of primetime coverage to BBC1, which I suspect this year will run from 7-9pm and can then easily be cut short or extended as required. I suspect short form highlights will still be quite prominent on the BBC Sport website and possibly integrated into the iPlayer more too. Also makes the presenter situation smoother - suspect Isa will kick off coverage and probably introduce the first matches on Court 1/Centre then Clare coming in mid-afternoon through to the end of play.
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • bkman1990, GMc, matthieu1221, Transmission

I think the issue with Gary Lineker's social media comments is that it's not the first time he's chosen to speak out about political related matters online. If he worked in BBC News then I suspect the disciplinary action would be more severe.

As Newshound47 suggested it's probably easiest for the BBC to simply not renew his contract when it expires. Considering his BBC earnings in 2020-21 were £1.35m there's a case for saving a bit of money by employing for half that amount. Admittedly small savings in the wider context of sports costs and BBC cuts.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 2 users Like Keith's post:
  • Jeff, Ma76

Seems like a good time for Lineker to go. BBC can't afford these expensive, celeb presenters anymore, especially the virtue signaling kind.
[-] The following 3 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • Stuart, TheGregmeister, thomash79

It’s one thing making personal opinions, but for me it’s more the fact he comes across like he is untouchable that isn’t a great look

Last time he was told off he smugly continued to post the same stuff but in a fake neutral way - one post slating a policy, one post pretending to support it, so making a mockery of the situation
[-] The following 3 users Like Andrew's post:
  • Jeff, Ma76, thomash79

(08-03-2023, 03:16 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Seems like a good time for Lineker to go. BBC can't afford these expensive, celeb presenters anymore, especially the virtue signaling kind.
Can’t imagine there being no controversy about a women (Particularly possibly a BAME women) replacing him on much lower salary,

Gary Lineker is not going anywhere. It's laughable to think he might be.
[-] The following 7 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • bkman1990, Branflake, iloveTV1, News Engineer, Scratch_Perry, SuperSajuuk, thePineapple

(08-03-2023, 04:08 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Gary Lineker is not going anywhere. It's laughable to think he might be.

Depends if the BBC want to risk a full on feud with the government over this.