Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy

(19-03-2023, 03:10 PM)News Engineer Wrote:  The OJ verdict was shown live during the Six, it hadn’t happened when they went on air, so leading on another story may have been due to other factors entirely.

Although given the verdicts were announced - if Wikipedia is correct - at 6:07pm (UK time), it couldn’t have been a lengthy package on Blair’s speech

(No memory of whether he’s right on what ITN lead their 5:40 bulletin on I’m afraid!)

WHAAAAAAAAA???

ITN at 540????

youtu.be 

(19-03-2023, 03:10 PM)News Engineer Wrote:  The OJ verdict was shown live during the Six, it hadn’t happened when they went on air, so leading on another story may have been due to other factors entirely.

Although given the verdicts were announced - if Wikipedia is correct - at 6:07pm (UK time), it couldn’t have been a lengthy package on Blair’s speech

(No memory of whether he’s right on what ITN lead their 5:40 bulletin on I’m afraid!)

Here's ITN's coverage, with the Early Evening News followed by a special programme at 6pm:

youtu.be 
youtu.be 

The only clip of the BBC's coverage I can find is the verdict itself, not the top of the programme.

I suppose there's an argument that the BBC having much less time available put a bit more pressure on getting other news out while they could.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Transmission's post:
  • Kojak

(19-03-2023, 03:52 PM)Transmission Wrote:  

Here's ITN's coverage, with the Early Evening News followed by a special programme at 6pm:

youtu.be 
youtu.be 

The only clip of the BBC's coverage I can find is the verdict itself, not the top of the programme.

I suppose there's an argument that the BBC having much less time available put a bit more pressure on getting other news out while they could.
ISTR that ITN started their coverage early. In fact I think it was the first bit of serious focus ITN gave the trial.

HMRC has LOST its case against GL. Therefore even between 2013 and 2020 he was never considered anything close to being an employee and was (and continues to be) outside the BBC’s control apart from when on air or representing the BBC (for payment).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Adsales's post:
  • London Lite

Deadline has acquired an account of how the DG handled all this as it unfolded under a freedom of information request.

deadline.com 

deadline.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • oscillon, Toby brown

Please can someone on here explain how Gary's contract with the BBC works - please, anyone in the most basic terms, as I still don't understand his position as a free lancer at the BBC, how does this work? Surely the BBC employ him in any form of employment.

I would love to have this explained

The nature of Gary Linekers contract with both BBC. And BT sport
Have been explored …. And the First tier tribunal has established that he is freelance
And not within I35 ..there are some details in the judgment
financeandtax.decisions.tribunals.gov.uk 

(27-06-2023, 08:15 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Please can someone on here explain how Gary's contract with the BBC works - please, anyone in the most basic terms, as I still don't understand his position as a free lancer at the BBC, how does this work? Surely the BBC employ him in any form of employment.

I would love to have this explained
Think of him as a cleaner for example who you might use regularly to do work on your behalf, but you don't employ them directly but pay them to provide you a service with so many contracted hours a month.   Essentially Gary, or his company, would invoice for his hours and have a contract stipulating when he needs to be available, and supposedly any conditions that may be in breech of that contract and see it terminated.
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald, Frances, JMT1985, lepeterrr

New social media rules for BBC freelancers could be introduced as soon as tomorrow, following the conclusion of the review intiated in light of the Lineker story.

deadline.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • Toby brown, UTVLifer

The new guidelines are out and the most interested part seems to be the BBC clarifying 'Flagship Programmes' were presenters are subject to these new rules.

www.bbc.co.uk 

I guess all the ones you'd expect are on there (not listening presenters for Top Gear, is this a good sign the current team won't ever return?). But I think the radio list is more interested as it only lists 4 people. Neither drive time show on Radio 1 or Radio 2?
[-] The following 2 users Like Ash101's post:
  • Nobby, UTVLifer