CITV is to close

CITV is to close as a linear channel, as ITV launches ITVX Kids
twitter.com 

This is a criminal move by ITV. With CBBC closing down that left CITV as (I believe) the only free to air linear channel for the CBBC demographic. This could have gave them an opportunity to sweep in and steal CBBC’s linear viewership.

Do feel it is a poor move given it rates relatively well and on Freeview especially has a presence and serves an audience that ITVX may not reach. I suspect too they'll only replace it on Freeview with an expanded ITV3+1 - and if anything it's the +1 channels that should be going.

Hopefully though it puts further pressure on the BBC not to close CBBC. Difficult to close something that the commercial sector is pulling out of.

With increased competition from the likes of Sky and POP, it doesn't surprise me this has occurred. CITV has been a station ITV has lacked the care nor recognition to use, hence why last year they broadcast the Queen's Funeral while other kids channels tried to offer alternatives.

Kids nowadays aren't watching linear channels, so offering a specific kids mode for them on ITVX is ideal, although I could argue BBC's implementation of a "kids" mode could do with a little more grease work if they're wanting to close down CBBC in the process for it. I am hoping that at least they offer some sort of FAST channel(s) for children to basically stick on and watch, maybe a Mr Bean channel?
[-] The following 10 users Like Allanbuzzy's post:
  • bkman1990, CocuGrimshaw2001, insert_good_username_here, interestednovice, Jeff, Ma76, Rex, Roger Darthwell, TVFan, UTVLifer

Now we know why it wasn’t included in the rebrand of the rest of the network. It seems to be the next in the long line of things to be axed by ITV, though a channel is a larger decision than programmes.

My opinion is mixed on this; nostalgia of the brand and the hours of enjoyment their programmes provided makes me yearn for the brand to be invested in and kept on screen, however, I’m many years out of their demographic, and it seems to be following a pattern of Disney Channel and CBBC’s upcoming move. I’m not privy to the information of how many viewers the channel gets versus the amount who watch online, but I’m sure the decision to cut the channel and lose that stream of revenue from advertising (even if it’s minimal) won’t have been taken likely.

I assume that the weekend ITV1 block will stay to meet any quota that ITV have to provide children’s output via linear broadcast and it will be used to push kids towards ITVX Kids. They could always create a fast channel that airs the programmes whilst saving on the linear broadcast costs.
[-] The following 10 users Like fanoftv's post:
  • benzj, bkman1990, insert_good_username_here, interestednovice, Jeff, Ma76, Rijowhi, Superman1986, Tola, UTVLifer

If anybody had "CITV Closes Down" on their 2023 Bingo card, please tick it off and shout "BINGO!". (JK; I remember watching CITV for the first time when I was on vacation in the Isle of Wight)
[-] The following 3 users Like DiamondJoe2.0's post:
  • bkman1990, insert_good_username_here, Superman1986

That explains the 'ITV Kids' logo we saw in the rebrand files - that is likely what they will use on ITVX. Flemish channel VTM did the same with their kids channel at the start of the year - closed it and moved all the content online (but kept a kids' block on their main channel).

(10-03-2023, 11:20 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Do feel it is a poor move given it rates relatively well and on Freeview especially has a presence and serves an audience that ITVX may not reach.  I suspect too they'll only replace it on Freeview with an expanded ITV3+1 - and if anything it's the +1 channels that should be going.

Hopefully though it puts further pressure on the BBC not to close CBBC.  Difficult to close something that the commercial sector is pulling out of.

If anything, I think it will be the opposite - the Beeb can now say 'hey, we're not the only ones closing our kids' channel, it's just the natural direction of travel'. I suspect you're right about ITV3+1 or similar replacing it - but if one can dream, can we have the news channel back?  Heart
[-] The following 9 users Like Kojak's post:
  • bkman1990, Happy2001, insert_good_username_here, interestednovice, Ma76, Rijowhi, SlimyTrain, Spencer, Superman1986

I would think this would need Ofcom approval and some further guarantee on future investment in children's programming.
[-] The following 4 users Like eyeTV's post:
  • bkman1990, insert_good_username_here, interestednovice, Ma76

This is such a shame. Although I feel Children's ITV was at it's best when it was on ITV in the 80' & early 90's and late 90's also. When it moved to a dedicated channel and due to cutbacks, it did not seem as appealing with the programme variety or quality. I'm not sure how well it does these days, but it will be sad to see Children's ITV or CITV close. I hope ITV make available some of its classic shows on this new streaming service. The name "ITVX Kids" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue either and can't imagine children talking about going home to watch "ITVX Kids" after school.
[-] The following 7 users Like Juicy Joe's post:
  • bkman1990, insert_good_username_here, interestednovice, Ma76, Rijowhi, Roger Darthwell, WhoOdyssey

This explains why the prototypes we saw had that ITV Kids branding, but it never went to air. Though I guess that weekend morning block might end up using it. Even if the channel goes, that ITV1 kids block still needs presentation. I agree that they can't scrap that - I don't think they're allowed to.
[-] The following 8 users Like JAS84's post:
  • benzj, bkman1990, interestednovice, Jeff, Juicy Joe, Ma76, Superman1986, UTVLifer