ITV Cancels Soap Awards

x.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JamesWorldNews's post:
  • callumwatchestelly

(01-11-2023, 04:23 PM)JamesWorldNews Wrote:  x.com 

I guess the question is will it do a full neighbours tribute and do a two year time jump, with flashbacks as to what happened last year. Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like South's post:
  • AJB39, callumwatchestelly

It's slightly curious that the reports state it's cancelled for 2024, but will apparently return in 2025.

If it's genuinely to return in 2025 then why cancel it next year? Part of me wonders if saying it'll return in 2025 is a way of leaving the door open for now, but potentially cancelling it permanently in 6-12 month's time. I guess the number of soaps aka 'continuing dramas' is slowly reducing, with Holby City ending back in 2022 and Doctors finishing next year, which slightly reduces the number of contenders for awards.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 4 users Like Keith's post:
  • AJB39, callumwatchestelly, Stuart, Superman1986

(01-11-2023, 05:10 PM)Keith Wrote:  It's slightly curious that the reports state it's cancelled for 2024, but will apparently return in 2025. 

If it's genuinely to return in 2025 then why cancel it next year?  Part of me wonders if saying it'll return in 2025 is a way of leaving the door open for now, but potentially cancelling it permanently in 6-12 month's time.  I guess the number of soaps aka 'continuing dramas' is slowly reducing, with Holby City ending back in 2022 and Doctors finishing next year, which slightly reduces the number of contenders for awards.
Remember they did this with the National Television Awards too - when Trevor McDonald stepped down as host, they rebooted it by moving it out of the Royal Albert Hall and into the 02 with Dermot O'Leary as host and made the event much bigger - this meant the usual October time it was held was pushed to January and they didn't have a 2009 event, but moved it to January 2010.

I feel Jane McDonald hosting this year just didn't look good, and so revamp is in order, along with a one year "rest" just like the NTAs
[-] The following 1 user Likes JMT1985's post:
  • callumwatchestelly

So what you’re saying it, awards shows shouldn’t be hosted by anyone called McDonald?
[-] The following 3 users Like Joe's post:
  • Juicy Joe, Spencer, Stuart

(01-11-2023, 05:10 PM)Keith Wrote:  It's slightly curious that the reports state it's cancelled for 2024, but will apparently return in 2025.

If it's genuinely to return in 2025 then why cancel it next year? Part of me wonders if saying it'll return in 2025 is a way of leaving the door open for now, but potentially cancelling it permanently in 6-12 month's time. I guess the number of soaps aka 'continuing dramas' is slowly reducing, with Holby City ending back in 2022 and Doctors finishing next year, which slightly reduces the number of contenders for awards.
Plus Hollyoaks got demoted from Channel 4 to E4. Two soaps gone, another no longer on the main five channels. The competition is dwindling.

(01-11-2023, 07:44 PM)Joe Wrote:  So what you’re saying it, awards shows shouldn’t be hosted by anyone called McDonald?

No, ITV saw that instead of placing a new host into a similar structure, maybe it was time to rest and reboot it in a year's time

(01-11-2023, 08:39 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  No, ITV saw that instead of placing a new host into a similar structure, maybe it was time to rest and reboot it in a year's time

I was just joking.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Joe's post:
  • Stuart