BBC Radio Cymru 2 to Increase Hours

With the flaws in the RAJAR process I wouldn't read too much into one period in isolation.

(01-02-2024, 10:32 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  With the flaws in the RAJAR process I wouldn't read too much into one period in isolation.

The problems with Rajar generally come when surveying for small local stations, as a tiny survey size can lead to some unexpected fluctuations.

If they're surveying across all of Wales, I'd expect the figures to be fairly reliable.
[-] The following 4 users Like Spencer's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, insert_good_username_here, lookoutwales

The changes will come in to effect on March 4th.

www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • lookoutwales

In BBC terms, they've moved quickly on this - going from OFCOM approval last month to launch within six weeks, although these plans have been mooted for the last two years.

After all the coverage about their worst RAJAR reach on record, it couldn't have come at a more apt time!

The only key change from the proposals first published is Monday - Thursday breakfast being extended to three hours and Lisa Gwilym's mid-morning show being bumped up from two hours to four.

I believe they're only getting an extra £10k budget-wise, which probably rules out hiring new presenters for now.

Still think it would be better to move one of the presented shows to Drive instead of having non-stop music as an opt-out - and the switch to music on Saturdays means Sport loses its additional platform for commentaries, which I felt was one of the better uses of RC2.
[-] The following 2 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • RhysJR, UTVLifer

The extended hours launched today with a fair bit of publicity - by and large, they’re persisting with the 50-50 music policy.

There are supposed to be some special ‘curated’ hours with guest presenters but tonight’s Drivetime opt was a straight non-stop jukebox format - one would feel that Global, with its Capital Cymru service, would have at least some cause for complaint (the BBC itself conceded the service may impact it in some way)

They’re also preparing a bilingually-presented series to introduce listeners to Welsh music - which is probably a first in Radio Cymru’s history.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • London Lite

An unusual split today.

With sport seemingly now out-of-bounds on Radio Cymru 2, they're putting commentary on the big League Two encounter between Wrexham and Mansfield on the main RC network, while the very popular Tudur Owen show is going out only on RC2.

For his sake, I hope it doesn't mean he has to put up with the Wenglish playlist...