New CBBC/CBeebies Presentation

(23-03-2023, 07:54 PM)WillPS Wrote:  
(21-03-2023, 10:40 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  This was the exact same reason why BBC Three closed down in the first place, and we all know what happened, this strategy of online only will not work, it's been proven that it doesn't work

I'm not sure there's much evidence BBC Three's linear channel revival has been a success is there? That being the case why should we read in to it that cutting back linear output would be a mistake?
It has been a success, many shows have brought in comfortable ratings, it's still better than losing 89% of it's audience when they were online only
[-] The following 2 users Like Roger Darthwell's post:
  • insert_good_username_here, interestednovice

(23-03-2023, 06:54 PM)MFTJA Wrote:  
(22-03-2023, 12:05 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  Many older people (a quarter of 75+) also have no access to the internet at all, so to deprive them of BBC Four is also unfair. This will, additionally, be seen as a double-whammy hit because of the end of universal free TV licenses for the elderly.
I'd be quite confident that the majority of over 75s that don't use the internet also don't use most of the channels available to them on linear TV. Many older people find it the nature of navigating digital TV very complicated and stick to what they know (BBC1, 2, ITV1, C4, and to an extent C5). I don't think that BBC Four would be a staple for most of them. The 'traditional' channels already show content that they enjoy anyway.

Agree with that point but also think it is quite dismissive to dismiss the over 75s as not being internet savvy.   Yes, perhaps the higher end of the age scale but for most the 75-80 somethings of today the internet has been around since they were in their 50s and streaming now been around over a decade, so those that can certainly have access to it if they choose too.

That said I do still think BBC4 has a place - and perhaps could work even better as a full on archive channel than in it's traditional role.   Yes, much of the classic comedy they show is up on the iPlayer - but giving it a place in the schedules is a reminder that it is up there, and also gives an outlet to some forgotten gems too.

That said back on topic and I do think kids linear channels still have a place too as a safe option for kids but I suspect kids very much disagree, hence why it's the younger end of the market where the kids channels still perform relatively well.
[-] The following 5 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • benzj, insert_good_username_here, interestednovice, Ma76, Roger Darthwell

FAST channels are great for binge-watching but then what? For the time someone watches an extra half an hour of something then gets bored and wants to do something else, surely a broadcaster would want them, as is the case with a traditional linear channel devoted to a variety of stuff including new stuff, to keep watching? What chance does new content have when there are numerous FAST channels of old shows kicking about?

FAST is the future but only for shows established enough and having the volume of episodes for it. Mr Bean was mentioned but that's over twenty years old now and no new episodes are being made. How is that providing for the current generation of youngsters? There won't be many recent examples of long-running series on CITV given how badly it has performed over the last 10-15 years and they won't be that popular to justify a FAST channel so where do they go instead of linear that some people are so obsessed in doing away with?

ITV and the BBC for that matter don't have the budget to compete with other providers. The thing is, the BBC could compete if they used the money instead of that for shows which now air on BBC1 and have been brought about by the removal of the CBBC block, but that won't happen. Changing viewing habits, blah blah blah...

BBC3 is the result of warped logic of proving that the BBC provide for a particular demographic but using programmes that are/were intended for others to bring in the viewers to make grandiose claims. Top Gear. African Nations Cup. Masterchef Australia. MOTDx. The last two being off-shoots of already established shows when possibly non-branded formats would have worked just as well and the intended audiences would have felt more assured they were made specifically for them. But as we see with the junior version of Taskmaster recently commissioned, shows for kids can only have proper budgets and be aired on the main channels if grown-ups can watch them too. Laughable.
[-] The following 4 users Like tellyblues's post:
  • benzj, insert_good_username_here, Ma76, Roger Darthwell

Thunderbirds Are Go comes to mind as a CITV lomg runner as it had 78 episodes - but even that was only three seasons. That one actually did air on ITV1 as well as CITV, for about half it's run. Unfortunately, it's the ONLY example I can think of.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JAS84's post:
  • Ma76

Dave Spud could work. There are 78 11-minute episodes, with another series currently in production.

A version of the new CBeebies logo with a border. (Also, congratulations)

twitter.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like SlimyTrain's post:
  • BBCChameleonFan, Quantum+83

I still can’t get used to the new logo, it just doesn’t feel like CBeebies, even CBBC’s is just as bad. I just can’t fathom how anyone thought these were a great idea going forward.
[-] The following 3 users Like mixchris's post:
  • BBCChameleonFan, Ma76, Roger Darthwell

richhallsworth.com 

I found this case study of the new CBBC idents, which were made by Rich Hallsworth and Ink & Giants. It shows 2 of the new idents, which are the tube man and music idents, and a sting. Plus I have this GIF from the case study, in which somewhere in that GIF, you may find a Christmas ident.
up.metropol247.co.uk 
Web Image

[-] The following 3 users Like BBCChameleonFan's post:
  • insert_good_username_here, Ma76, SlimyTrain

As (very) regular CBeebies viewers in our household, the new logo feels normal already and the old one does look old when it pops up at the end of some programmes.

Funny how quickly you can get used to it.
[-] The following 4 users Like Transmission's post:
  • Brekkie, Hadrien, insert_good_username_here, mashumarusero

(14-04-2023, 08:42 AM)Transmission Wrote:  As (very) regular CBeebies viewers in our household, the new logo feels normal already and the old one does look old when it pops up at the end of some programmes.

Funny how quickly you can get used to it.

Yep, exactly the same here. The old logo in the House or on credits looks old but not out of place (if that makes sense) as there are clear synergies with the new one.

I think the effort that goes into the CBeebies presentation is so underrated, it's a beautiful package and the specific idents (days of the week, times of the day, plus holidays like Easter) make it really varied and clever.
[-] The following 11 users Like steve's post:
  • ACTV, alfiejmulcahy, BBCChameleonFan, Brekkie, CocuGrimshaw2001, DeMarkay, insert_good_username_here, LouBlu08, Ma76, SlimyTrain, strollfan