RTE / TG4 General Presentation thread

It was tried, twice during the 1990s, once as an experiment during Six One and once during the Friday edition of Nationwide.They were never able to make it work in the past, largely because of cable (and in those days MMDS) customers being fed from transmitters that weren’t local to them. Nowadays Sky would be an issue too and there’d be no appetite too uplink multiple versions. (It might be technically difficult to do - the Sky CAS was put in place before postcodes were introduced in ROI, and I *think* it sees ROI as one giant UK postcode).

Additionally, ILR sees local as being “its” territory - I’ve posted before about stations effectively basing themselves on having local exclusivity on being local - as opposed to the “Dublin bias” (that doesn’t really exist, but it suits them to big it up) of RTE.

On the VMTV thing, my comment was really intended as dig at the daily ten hours (that is not an exaggeration, as one look at the schedules will attest) of The Chase, rather than to suggest that VMTV didn’t broadcast news!
[-] The following 2 users Like Rdd's post:
  • bkman1990, Kunst

(21-03-2024, 03:37 PM)Rdd Wrote:  It was tried, twice during the 1990s, once as an experiment during Six One and once during the Friday edition of Nationwide.They were never able to make it work in the past, largely because of cable (and in those days MMDS) customers being fed from transmitters that weren’t local to them. Nowadays Sky would be an issue too and there’d be no appetite too uplink multiple versions. (It might be technically difficult to do - the Sky CAS was put in place before postcodes were introduced in ROI, and I *think* it sees ROI as one giant UK postcode).

Additionally, ILR sees local as being “its” territory - I’ve posted before about stations effectively basing themselves on having local exclusivity on being local - as opposed to the “Dublin bias” (that doesn’t really exist, but it suits them to big it up) of RTE.

On the VMTV thing, my comment was really intended as dig at the daily ten hours (that is not an exaggeration, as one look at the schedules will attest) of The Chase, rather than to suggest that VMTV didn’t broadcast news!

They actually tried a good few times. They had Munster Matters in the 1970's which was a half hour show that only went out in the Southern Transmitters. In the 1980's as part of their 25 year celebrations they had regional television in the afternoon (which was almost entirely made up of repeats) and as Rdd says they tried again in the 1990's. There really isn't a need for it as such, the population is only 5 million today and when they were doing it 30 years ago we barely had 4 million. Most things of interest news wise would be of interest to all.

There were private local stations on cable and pirate TV local stations, but modern communication and social media have basically meant any content that would have shown up on those outlets has now moved online.

As for the Chase, they've cut back greatly since a few years ago when they seemed to have close to 18 hours on some days. With omnibus editions at the weekends in case you missed an episode.

I forgot about the 2000s vintage City Channel, a commercial channel which used branding vaguely derived from the Canadian Citytv. (The Munster version was called Channel South, for reasons). It produced cheap as chips programmes that got very little viewers and even though it lasted six years it failed to enter the public imagination. Probably why I forgot about it!

Earlier, Cablelink had a Dublin local channel, broadcast on TCC/Nickelodeon’s channel after 7pm, but it was mostly a PowerPoint presentation broken into with various European news bulletins which I think came from TVE, ZDF, and Rai Uno. It lasted into the early 2000s and even into the NTL era but never transitioned to digital.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rdd's post:
  • Michael 18

(21-03-2024, 01:36 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Well lets look at VM1 news output

Ireland AM has news summaries at every half hour from 7am to 10am

News at 12.30, News at 5.30 and News at 7, all half hour news programmes

Tonight Show incorporates news into their show, but they don't do any Friday edition, which I guess means no late news update on a Friday?

Weekends, they have a half hour of news at 5.30, which in some ways resembles Channel 4 News here in the UK, who provide on half hour of news on a Saturday and Sunday.

Ireland AM also airs at weekends from 9am to Midday with news headlines part of those three hours

All in all I believe this is excellent provision, and add along The Six O'Clock Show (starting at 6.05pm for some reason) they do have plenty of home produced content, well all coming from their two television studios in Dublin, which makes it cheap to produce

Considering RTE 1 doesn't even bother to offer an alternative breakfast show, and considering RTE 1 just starts their news at 1pm on RTE 1, I have to say Ireland AM has tapped into the small but decent morning viewership which RTE seem happy to abandon

As regards to Christmas, I think we can excuse them providing a large news service over the festive season, as it is a time when most people avoid news

That is exceelent news provision across Irish broadcasters. Compare that to how the broadcast landscape is deteriorating in New Zealand, despite both having similar populations (around five million). And arguably Ireland is in closer orbit to another, bigger English language market as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • AJB39

(21-03-2024, 03:06 PM)Kunst Wrote:  Why hasn't Ireland even the minimal idea about local stations? E.g. opt outs for RTE1

I realize the British Isles have never been too good at it (see Scotland, for instance), but in Ireland the thing seems a tad extreme

They could potentially divide Ireland in the three/four historical provinces, and so on

Just see how Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Switzerland and other countries with a similar population or structure are good at it

RTE did try regional opt outs and it failed. I think there was a few clips of some opt outs during the Six One News in the early 90s if I remember correct from my reading.

It was called like TV South East, TV North West, and they would opt out at 6.30pm during the Six One News
[-] The following 2 users Like JMT1985's post:
  • Kunst, Michael 18

(21-03-2024, 08:13 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  That is exceelent news provision across Irish broadcasters. Compare that to how the broadcast landscape is deteriorating in New Zealand, despite both having similar populations (around five million). And arguably Ireland is in closer orbit to another, bigger English language market as well.

Totally agree with you. We are very lucky that Virgin Media provide as much news coverage as they do. Although not in the same league as RTÉ News they provide quite a good news service and it’s very important to have an independent TV news service in Ireland. We do not want to end up in the same position as New Zealand look like they are going to be in. TG4 News is also very good. All in all we are very well served with TV news. Long may that continue regardless of future delivery platforms.
[-] The following 2 users Like AJB39's post:
  • DE88, RhysJR

(12-12-2023, 01:27 PM)Rdd Wrote:  The corporate logo is timeless, and works as well today as it did in 1995 (contrast with the monstrosity used beforehand).
(13-12-2023, 10:48 PM)rick Wrote:  I would actually disagree with that, I think the RTÉ logo looks rather dated and of its time and could certainly be reimagined to appear more modern.

I know I'm replying to three-month-old posts here, but...

NRK's logo is 55 years old - yes, *fifty-five* - and has had just one very minor tweak in all that time (some of the corners being rounded in 1999).
[-] The following 2 users Like DE88's post:
  • JosiahStuart, Kunst

I think the RTÉ logo looks fine and really good still, no need to change it

Graphics, on the other hand...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kunst's post:
  • DE88