ITV's 2022 full year results

This is currently trending on Twitter for the news that the Queen dying meant that ITV had to write off £9m worth of Spitting Image episodes which will never be shown. I didn't realise that a third series had even been commissioned, the whole show's been axed since.

But if you're a real geek there's lots of other bits of interest in this 128 page doc including:

[*]SDN income reduced by £15m in the space of a year as contracts signed 10 years ago when Freeview was at its peak have expired and channels are now paying much lower market rates. Their income will only reduce further this year as more of these 10 year contracts expire. Just shows how much less valuable as a platform has become over the years. Britbox and ITVX subscriptions bring in as much revenue as SDN now.
[*]ITV are still haunted by the collapse of BoxClever, a TV rental shop part owned by Granada which went into administration in 2003. Some sort of issues with their pension funds which go over my head.
[*]Loads of mentions of The Voice of Holland inappropriate behaviour allegations which they've had to ring-fence a load of money for to deal with the legal and production implications.

Nice big list of quite a few dormant companies near the bottom including Carlton Food Network Limited!

www.itvplc.com 
[-] The following 5 users Like gottago's post:
  • ANE, Happy2001, Kojak, Ma76, TVFan

(20-03-2023, 10:24 PM)gottago Wrote:  Nice big list of quite a few dormant companies near the bottom including Carlton Food Network Limited!
Many of those are production subsidiaries for particular programmes, but as you say many are dormant so it's surprising that they keep them.

ITV certainly seem to be doing well. They've put alot into ITVX which seems to be a success, and probably the long term direction for how most people will be getting their media fix in the future.

However, if you are too successful you become ripe for acquisition, as we've seen on both sides of the pond. I think I've lost track of who's taken over who or merged with another media company. I don't think Ofcom would lose any sleep over a foreign buyer for ITV, they didn't seem to mind about Paramount Global owning Channel 5, or Comcast taking over Sky.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • Ma76