Alastair Stewart to retire

As someone generally held in very high esteem on these boards, I think this deserves its own thread. Alastair Stewart is to step back from television after nearly 50 years(!) on our screens. His last programme was this Sunday, though he will continue to appear as an occasional contributor.

www.gbnews.com 

Alastair Stewart Wrote:I’m nearly 71 and I still get the most tremendous lift from live television – it’s the best job in the world ... However, the rigours of preparing for two live interview shows a week, and commuting from Hampshire to London for them, are considerable.

I want to reduce my commitment while I’m still ahead as an old broadcaster, rather than an ancient one. Thankfully the timing is mine; I just want to spend more of it with my family, my horses, and the charities that have meant so much to me over the years.

I will admit, I am not at all a regular watcher of GB News - though on the occasions I have tuned in, it's more often than not been to watch his programmes. Having grown up watching him, I will miss seeing him on TV. His pairing with Mary Nightingale on the ITV News at 6.30 (and London Tonight many years before that!) was legendary.
[-] The following 6 users Like Kojak's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, Ma76, Northlad, Roger Darthwell, watchingtv

Alastair was/is one of my favourite news presenters ever. Although I don’t have access to GB News, I watched Alastair at ITN for many years and always enjoyed his broadcasts.

He will be missed.
[-] The following 10 users Like JamesWorldNews's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, ginnyfan, Jeff, Kojak, Ma76, Newsroom, Northlad, Superman1986, VMPhil

Although he showed himself up to be a bit of a tit in more recent years (subjective opinion) I still think he was one of the finest news presenters this country ever had, and was a great loss to ITN when he left.
[-] The following 9 users Like Larry the Loafer's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, Brekkie, chevron, LargelyALurker, leewilliams, Ma76, orange, Will

(22-03-2023, 05:34 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  Although he showed himself up to be a bit of a tit in more recent years (subjective opinion) I still think he was one of the finest news presenters this country ever had, and was a great loss to ITN when he left.

Whilst not my choice of word, I’d be inclined to agree. He used to be great entertainment value on Twitter during his ITV News days and was very great at responding to tweets about News presentation in general. I haven’t followed him since he returned to the platform and subsequently joined GB News, but from what I saw he became opinionated on both Twitter and GBN. Though his professional style did transfer well onto GBN from what I’ve seen. (Again, not much of it.) 

But I cannot underestimate his impact on television news in this country, and it certainly feels like the end of an era. Even though he’s long since left ITN, there’s pretty much none of the old guard there anymore. 

At a national level, the only person I can think  of who’s been on our screens regularly since the 1980’s and still on is Kay Burley.
[-] The following 3 users Like nwtv2003's post:
  • Kojak, Larry the Loafer, Ma76

(22-03-2023, 08:11 PM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  Even though he’s long since left ITN, there’s pretty much none of the old guard there anymore. 

At a national level, the only person I can think  of who’s been on our screens regularly since the 1980’s and still on is Kay Burley.
I think James Mates is the last of the old guard at ITN now (though he’s always been mainly a reporter). And maybe Tom Bradby (though he started in 1990, so not sure if he counts).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kojak's post:
  • Ma76

(22-03-2023, 05:34 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  Although he showed himself up to be a bit of a tit in more recent years (subjective opinion) I still think he was one of the finest news presenters this country ever had, and was a great loss to ITN when he left.

Agree, though his dismissal from ITN seemed very much an overreaction at the time.
[-] The following 5 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Larry the Loafer, Ma76, Newsroom, Northlad, thomash79

(22-03-2023, 08:21 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  

Agree, though his dismissal from ITN seemed very much an overreaction at the time.
Supposedly head honchos at ITN felt he had become a little too outspoken, and the Shakespeare incident was the last straw. That being said, I don’t see why they couldn’t have just told him to come off Twitter, or at worst, suspended him for a short period. Definitely think sacking him was an overreaction.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kojak's post:
  • Northlad

Interesting that he retweeted this extremely critical take of GB News just a few days ago. A retweet doesn’t mean an endorsement of course, but it’s so scathing I can’t help wonder if it predicated Alastair not even getting a goodbye on-air

https://twitter.com/jmpsimor/status/1637393152230211584?s=46&t=VuE1pzJfIpHLDYD1boxSPw
[-] The following 3 users Like Pips2022's post:
  • Kojak, London Lite, Ma76

Mentioning Tom Bradby as part of the 'old guard and even in reference to Alastair Stewart is not worthy of reading.

One of the greatest of greats!

He'll go down in history among legends regardless of recent events, true or false.

A tremendous individual and a top class journalist!
[-] The following 4 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • bkman1990, Kojak, Northlad, Stockland Hillman

(22-03-2023, 08:41 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Mentioning Tom Bradby as part of the 'old guard and even in reference to Alastair Stewart is not worthy of reading.

One of the greatest of greats!

He'll go down in history among legends regardless of recent events, true or false.

A tremendous individual and a top class journalist!
Ha ha, you are right. I did mean in terms of time - Tom is probably one of the longest serving at ITN, but as much as he has improved over the years, he is definitely no Alastair Stewart.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kojak's post:
  • Newsroom, Rijowhi