I’m A Celeb - South Africa

Well, that series was a rather nice change of pace. I wonder if they'll do it again, or if it'll be a one off?

Obviously the main reason the series was done was as a fallback in case they couldn't get to Australia, we'll have to see if it did well enough for them to feel it's worth doing again.
[-] The following 2 users Like James2001's post:
  • IanJRedman, JosiahStuart

It just occurred to me, presumably all the studio links were recorded in one day?

I do think it was a welcome change of pace and made some elements of the original seem bloated. The mid-trial cliffhangers were a bit annoying but the lack of public interaction enabled them to get a varied mix of different people doing the trials.

(11-05-2023, 10:25 PM)Andrew Wrote:  
(11-05-2023, 10:20 PM)James2001 Wrote:  A very muddy cyclone this time around. And clearly not using the high speed cameras they usually use to film the cyclone either, as all the slow motion shots are very choppy.

I wonder if the version filmed in South Africa usually has a cyclone, or if they had to build it afresh just for us

Germany had their version of I'm A Celeb in South Africa in 2022 and this was their cyclone, not quite on the same scale as we saw on our version.

youtu.be 

Although a couple of the trials were familiar

Toff's Trial

youtu.be 

And the trial at the start of the series

youtu.be 

I very rarely watch the show anyway nowadays and bailed after 20 minutes of the premiere this time - but the difference this time is usually you can not watch it but are still somewhat in the know about who is doing the trials and who is eliminated due to articles, social media posts and TV discussion every day. That's been noticeably absent this time.

It's ratings weren't great compared to what I'm a Celeb usually does, but were decent enough for ITV in May. These All Star/Champions type series which probably should be a one off every few years have a habit of getting a second run quickly commissioned for the following year if the first did decent enough. Perhaps if they could find a live slot for it it might be worth a shot - feel they could certainly assemble a cast as strong (in the context of I'm a Celeb performances) as this one for a second series.

Interesting that Germany still uses a version of the original logo. It's been 15 years since the UK version changed it!
[-] The following 2 users Like JAS84's post:
  • DeMarkay, IanJRedman

They still have that version of the titles too where a limousine is dropped into the jungle for the celebs to emerge from.
[-] The following 2 users Like eyeTV's post:
  • DeMarkay, IanJRedman