Freeview News

(23-05-2023, 08:48 PM)gottago Wrote:  Anyone who's got a Manhattan T3-R and T3 can update to a new software version. I assumed there wouldn't be another one as it's been two years since the last and there's nothing really in it for a small company to update old software, but good on them for keeping it going. Looks like they've got a new set of boxes coming this summer.

The update means ITVX will work from the 27th plus quite a lot of bugs fixed.
Thanks for the heads up, am currently downloading the firmware update.

It's a pity the Manhattan box still only offers Britbox, beyond the usual Freeview related apps. Not sure if the lack of the likes of Prime and Netflix is due to Manhattan or the streaming services.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

A few minor tweaks today - looks like QVC have closed QVC Style and QVC Beauty and replaced with one stream QVC2, freeing up an LCN which C5+1 has acquired. New channel WildEarth has launched, whilst BBC3 HD has moved up to 107, but still behind BBC4 HD.

Some newer devices can now HD swap, but frankly BBC3 HD is far easier to find in the HD section than on channel 23, and isn't available in Scotland or Wales anyway.

Great! TV has changed streams as well so I'm guessing it may have got a slot on a national mux.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Ma76

Great! TV has been moved to COM6/ArqB. Together TV has now also moved to COM6/ArqB, and is now a streaming channel except between 0500hrs and 0700hrs. Together +1 is also now a streaming channel except between 0700hrs and 0800hrs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes CCFG's post:
  • Ma76

Amazing how Together TV survives on it's limited gifted space given how it's always on the move.

Then again, there are somehow Freeview channel that have operating hours less than Together's 0500 - 0700 unstreamed hours. (e.g ITV4 and ITVBe timeshift channels)
[-] The following 1 user Likes CCFG's post:
  • Ma76

Not tried it yet as not retuned but Great! TV has now added a catch up service via the red button.
  • Ma76

See COM5&6, the non-PSB Arqiva muxes have been renewed through to 2034, still with no plan to switch to DVB-T2.

rxtvinfo.com 

Really don't understand why these renewals aren't conditional on them being upgraded.
  • Ma76

(27-06-2023, 07:29 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Really don't understand why these renewals aren't conditional on them being upgraded.
Because it makes no commercial sense……
Is there a queue of channels wanting carriage on the platform?
Going T2 AVC AAC. Is about 15 SD channels more per mux …
And if the government intervenes to do the Vaizey plan say 12 years too late,
that frees a very expensive PSB mux …..
with no income for the remaining half of it contract ….

And linear viewing is reducing ….. so the number of channels will decline.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Technologist's post:
  • TVFan

To be honest I expect a Freeview equivalent of Sky Stream to take over within the next few years. Stream isn’t perfect but it proves the concept works, and it removes many of the restrictions we have with the current setup.
[-] The following 1 user Likes all new phil's post:
  • London Lite

(27-06-2023, 08:52 PM)all new phil Wrote:  To be honest I expect a Freeview equivalent of Sky Stream to take over within the next few years. Stream isn’t perfect but it proves the concept works, and it removes many of the restrictions we have with the current setup.

I’m amazed it hasn’t already. Why haven’t the mainstream channel joined the likes of Samsung TV Plus?

Not legit but… I’m in Dubai and have at a IPTV provider for many years now and it is near faultless. If these dodgy providers can do it, I’m sure the BBC can