Elections 2023

Election coverage this year may potentially be a bit different to normal, especially on the BBC

As posted in the BBC Local Radio thread, there is a NUJ strike on Friday 5th May which will impact the English regions
www.nuj.org.uk 

In addition Saturday 6th May is Coronation day which may mean some different faces involved in the election coverage, or in more prominent roles than usual. In particular I'm thinking of Huw Edwards, who presumably won't be involved in election coverage at all - therefore needing someone else to present the main election results programming?
[-] The following 3 users Like excel99's post:
  • bkman1990, UTVLifer, Will

(02-04-2023, 02:42 PM)excel99 Wrote:  In addition Saturday 6th May is Coronation day which may mean some different faces involved in the election coverage, or in more prominent roles than usual. In particular I'm thinking of Huw Edwards, who presumably won't be involved in election coverage at all - therefore needing someone else to present the main election results programming?
It'll be interesting to see who they have to present if Huw Edwards is indeed unavailable. Since 1981, the only local election programmes where Dimbleby or Edwards weren't the main presenter were 1984 (Tusa) and 1999 (Wark, though Edwards was a secondary presenter). Kirsty Wark, who also co-presented the 2021 coverage, is likely to also be involved in Coronation coverage.

Jo Coburn has often presented the morning after, so perhaps she'll be promoted to main presenter this time, though I could see Reeta Chakrabarti stepping up given her involvement in recent election programmes.
[-] The following 3 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, UTVLifer

If Huw isn't doing the local elections this year, I wouldn't be that surprised if Laura K ends up as main overnight presenter this year, with Jo Coburn taking the daytime shift as per usual

My hunch is that it could well be Laura K, Reeta and Chris Mason in Studio B for the overnight programme - which will of course give the new look Studio B a dry-run ahead of the general election next year
[-] The following 4 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Jeff, Newsroom

I’m not sure there will be a full overnight programme as I think there are lots of councils counting on Friday daytime - it’s also just England this year (on this date at least)
[-] The following 2 users Like steve's post:
  • bkman1990, UTVLifer

I think its England on the 4th May and Northern Ireland on the 18th May.
[-] The following 2 users Like ConorW2000's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990

Yes, sorry, that's what I meant - not all at the same time.

(02-04-2023, 04:07 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  If Huw isn't doing the local elections this year, I wouldn't be that surprised if Laura K ends up as main overnight presenter this year, with Jo Coburn taking the daytime shift as per usual

My hunch is that it could well be Laura K, Reeta and Chris Mason in Studio B for the overnight programme - which will of course give the new look Studio B a dry-run ahead of the general election next year

100% correct!
[-] The following 5 users Like Transmission's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Frances, PJamo, UTVLifer

(18-04-2023, 06:18 AM)Transmission Wrote:  
(02-04-2023, 04:07 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  If Huw isn't doing the local elections this year, I wouldn't be that surprised if Laura K ends up as main overnight presenter this year, with Jo Coburn taking the daytime shift as per usual

100% correct!
Have the coverage details been confirmed?

Looks like it is indeed Laura, Reeta and Chris doing the local election coverage this time.

digiguide.tv 
[-] The following 6 users Like News76's post:
  • AJB39, alfiejmulcahy, bkman1990, oscillon, Reith85, UTVLifer

Instead of the main Elections team (presumably in Studio B) carrying on into the Friday afternoon this year, an extended Politics Live with Jo Coburn will air on 12:00 to 13:45 on BBC Two and then from 13:45 until 16:00 on BBC One.

I'm presuming that this is probably a Coronation/resources necessitated change, given that in recent years Huw usually would return for the afternoon shift following Jo Coburn's annual Local Elections Friday shift in Studio E. 

Also David Wallace Lockhart is down to be taking over touchscreen duties during the Politics Live special

www.bbc.co.uk 

Oh and I really hope that they don't try to chameleon the lovely elections hexagon titles and graphics
[-] The following 1 user Likes UTVLifer's post:
  • AJB39