Channel 4 Pres: 2023 - Present

There seems to be a distinct lack of 4 logo here for an identity that was supposed to "bring the blocks back together". There was arguably more 4 logo before!
[-] The following 6 users Like thomalex's post:
  • Brekkie, fanoftv, insert_good_username_here, Jeff, Juicy Joe, thePineapple

The Pride ident is technically accomplished and pleasant to look at... but that's about all I can say?

I'm not sure if the cube-world is meant to be an oblique reference to the blocks (taking a trip inside the blocks?) but it's just not a particularly strong, ownable or engaging device on its own.

It's a good job that 4Creative video shows more interesting and cohesive things are (possibly?) coming soon, or I'd be very confused about the direction and seemingly half-baked nature of all this.
[-] The following 7 users Like Jonny's post:
  • Clean Feed, Earlie37, fanoftv, insert_good_username_here, Quantum+83, Spencer, warbler

Just having the logo as the central focus would lift these idents and it's baffling they don't - surely it can speed on and off. I just don't get why the F1/Formula E idents get released early either.

I just think the slow piece by piece reveal of this package is doing it no favours and baffling C4 have took this approach when previous revamps changed the entire look of the channel in a day.
[-] The following 5 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Andrew Wood, ethanjbrady, insert_good_username_here, Jeff, Quantum+83

I believe that the lack of logo is temporary. The concept of the idents is an 'infinite loop' that '4 travels through' and is 'made up of immersive, ever-evolving and interconnected worlds.' This concept can't work until all regular idents have been finished. What I think we're seeing on screen at the moment is the final resolution of the idents but without the Channel 4 logo travelling through the worlds.

A big reason why this rebrand is being done piece by piece is because of the costs. There is a crisis in the TV industry right now. Advertising revenue is down significantly due to the cost of living crisis. TV shows aren't being commissioned and many freelancers have been out of work for months. Introducing a rebrand slowly improves cash flow and saves a lot of money by not paying a premium to rush it. The priority was getting All4 rebranded as Channel 4. The rest is secondary.
[-] The following 9 users Like TV Insider's post:
  • Clean Feed, dbl, Edogawa Ranpo, insert_good_username_here, Kunst, orange, Quantum+83, thePineapple, WhisperOfCinnamon

Just spotted the ECP tonight. How is it that it still hasn't been adapted to accommodate for the end credits? They get away with it when the credits are scrolling, but I don't know how nobody's noticed that the static ones are getting covered up.

Haven't all Channel 4 shows accommodated for an ECP on the right of the screen since the Squares branding in the early 2000s? Seems like it'd just be a lot easier redesigning/repositioning the new ECP.

EDIT: I've just watched Friday's Gogglebox that I had recorded and the ECP was on the right hand side... I guess they're working on it?
[-] The following 2 users Like Larry the Loafer's post:
  • chaose, insert_good_username_here

The classic logo would look so good in the Pride ident.
[-] The following 6 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • bilky asko, fanoftv, insert_good_username_here, orange, Roger Darthwell, Spencer

(04-06-2023, 11:18 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  Just spotted the ECP tonight. How is it that it still hasn't been adapted to accommodate for the end credits? They get away with it when the credits are scrolling, but I don't know how nobody's noticed that the static ones are getting covered up.

Haven't all Channel 4 shows accommodated for an ECP on the right of the screen since the Squares branding in the early 2000s? Seems like it'd just be a lot easier redesigning/repositioning the new ECP.

EDIT: I've just watched Friday's Gogglebox that I had recorded and the ECP was on the right hand side... I guess they're working on it?

There's two versions, my guess is that whatever version was scheduled didn't account for how the programme credits rolled.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dbl's post:
  • Larry the Loafer

Just looking at the E4 idents to see if they could be made into some kind of infinity loop if the cube idea is expanded across channels (and I think they could, but ideally that won't happen) it's odd that C4 were happy to commission 19 idents for E4 when they relaunched (I think most the idents were there initially) yet only 4 for the main channel when the giant man launched.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • insert_good_username_here

I really hate that the “Stream or Watch live” tag on the promos is at the verrrry top left of the screen. If it was centred like the show titles I really think that would be a great little improvement.
[-] The following 3 users Like orange's post:
  • Allanbuzzy, Brekkie, insert_good_username_here

(06-06-2023, 10:58 AM)orange Wrote:  I really hate that the “Stream or Watch live” tag on the promos is at the verrrry top left of the screen. If it was centred like the show titles I really think that would be a great little improvement.

Agreed. I see what they're trying to do, but it feels messy writing the promo tags in a conversational style. A bit of spacing and simplifying them would help.
[-] The following 4 users Like dbl's post:
  • Allanbuzzy, insert_good_username_here, orange, Tola