C4 request to axe lunchtime/weekend news requirements

A consultation has gone out on changes to C4, including cuts to original programming, current affairs programming and what remains of their schools programming obligation (30 minutes a year apparently).

News wise though they want to axe the lunchtime summary, a relic of the long axed News at Noon.  I can't recall if they had a bulletin before that - think it might just have been as part of their lunchtime political shows.  And up until 2003 they'd had News as part of their breakfast output too.

More controversially and opposed by OFCOM is a desire to cut their weekend News commitments.   C4 are the only channel to offer half hour bulletins most weekends.  The Saturday bulletin began in 1999 and the Sunday edition followed a few years later (there was a period where C4 offered a full Saturday bulletin and C5 a full Sunday bulletin).  Prior to that it was just a 5 minute summary.

It really would be a loss to lose news completely from C4 and I doubt that is the genuine aim - if they can reduce to 15 minutes as BBC1/ITV have that might be the compromise.   C4 state they wouldn't axe lunchtime bulletins immediately or weekend bulletins, but want the flexibility to make changes in the future.

RXTV sum it up better than I do:
rxtvinfo.com 

And the OFCOM consultation:
www.ofcom.org.uk 

Didn't C4 axe the midday news summary before? They only brought it back around the time Russia started invading Ukraine (in fact I think that was the reason why they brought it back).

(08-12-2023, 06:46 AM)JACKLUFC1998 Wrote:  Didn't C4 axe the midday news summary before? They only brought it back around the time Russia started invading Ukraine (in fact I think that was the reason why they brought it back).

It’s always been there since News at Noon was axed. (If anything it predates NaN.)

The difference in the last few years is that it no longer goes out at 12:00pm, it quite often goes out before midday. Whilst a shame to see Channel 4 cutting back the summary doesn’t add much to the schedule. I’d argue the greater loss is with the weekend bulletins.
[-] The following 6 users Like nwtv2003's post:
  • AndrewP, chris, JACKLUFC1998, LargelyALurker, Superman1986, thePineapple

At one point it was going out before Stephs Packed lunch at 12.25. I'm not if it's since been integrated or as above posted, before at 11.55.

Yes, it goes out at 11.55am. I think it was integrated into Packed Lunch briefly when that launched but that arrangement didn't last long at all.

Whilst in itself it wouldn't be a huge loss it does feel like the thin end of the wedge. I don't think it necessarily needs to be at lunchtime - if it was later in the afternoon it would still serve a purpose too.

I would imagine the aim is reducing the weekend bulletins to 15 minutes rather than cutting them altogether.
[-] The following 1 user Likes XIII's post:
  • Superman1986

News at Noon was a great bulletin and a real shame it was dropped, but can’t imagine the current lunchtime summary has much value to many people.

On the other hand, the half-hour weekend bulletins absolutely do have value and it’d be a shame to lose them.
[-] The following 2 users Like LargelyALurker's post:
  • PatrZDZ, Superman1986

(10-12-2023, 10:52 PM)LargelyALurker Wrote:  News at Noon was a great bulletin and a real shame it was dropped, but can’t imagine the current lunchtime summary has much value to many people.

On the other hand, the half-hour weekend bulletins absolutely do have value and it’d be a shame to lose them.

I agree. I often tune into Channel 4 News at the weekend because of the duration and curated nature over any news channel half hour.